Dortmund resigned to losing Kagawa to England
German champions Borussia Dortmund are resigned to losing playmaker Shinji Kagawa, who is said to be considering a switch to the Premier League amid reports of an enticing offer from Manchester United.
Dortmund president Reinhard Rauball has told the 23-year-old Japanese midfielder, whose contract expires in 2013, he must sign an extension by Monday as they do not want to risk losing him on a free transfer.
Dortmund's director of sport Michael Zorc says he has spoken to Kagawa and Borussia are no closer to securing the winger's signature.
"I spoke to Shinji and his advisor last week and to date he is not willing to extend his contract with Borussia Dortmund," said Zorc.
"We have a Plan A and B and we will follow one of them.
"We won't gamble, but he has a specific career plan and he plans to play in England.
"We have to accept that, even if we don't find it good."
Zorc added that it makes no sense to wait another 12 months and risk losing him for free.
"Because he now has a certain market value, there is an economic rationality which has to be followed," he said.
According to reports in the German media, Manchester United are said to have offered Kagawa a three-year deal.
Kagawa has been considered one of the Bundesliga's success stories over the last two seasons having orchestrated Dortmund's surge to the title after joining the club from J-League side Cerezo Osaka in 2010 for just 350,000 euros.
Dortmund beat relegated Kaiserslautern 5-2 on Saturday to go eight points clear at the top of the table and within sight of breaking the most points collected in a single Bundesliga season.
Related Borussia Dortmund News