Striker next on list for Coyle
Owen Coyle hopes to continue his summer recruitment drive by bringing in a striker after wrapping up deals for three new players this week. Bolton confirmed on Friday morning they had completed the signings of midfielder Chris Eagles and defender Tyrone Mears, the pair both joining from Burnley on three-year contracts for a combined fee of around £3million. That follows the announcement on Wednesday that former Aston Villa captain Nigel Reo-Coker had agreed a two-year deal with the Trotters, and the arrival of Darren Pratley from Swansea earlier this month. Those incoming personnel will add more depth to Coyle's squad, but the manager knows Wanderers are still lacking up front, where they have lost Daniel Sturridge, Johan Elmander and Rodrigo Moreno since the end of last season. "I would certainly love to still add another couple of faces to the squad we have, and I don't think it is any secret that we are looking to strengthen the striking department," Coyle said. "We already have the skipper (Kevin Davies) there with Ivan Klasnic and Robbie Blake, but we want to add to that and make sure that we have real firepower, because the Premier League can be very unforgiving." On his most recent additions, Coyle - who knows Eagles and Mears from his time as Burnley manager - said: "Both Chris and Tyrone are top players and have shown that they have the ability to compete successfully at the highest level. "I have worked with them both before and know what they will bring to the club in terms of character and commitment, and along with Nigel Reo-Coker, we have added real quality to the squad." As well as identifying transfer targets, Coyle has also had to deal with huge speculation surrounding Wanderers' England defender Gary Cahill. The Scot has already challenged the Premier League's big guns to make a concrete bid for Cahill if they are interested, but for the time being at least, none appear to be emerging. Coyle feels the situation is not fair on the 25-year-old and wants it swiftly resolved. "There had been tentative enquiries, but there has certainly not been firm offers," Coyle said. "I have said to Gary that as soon as there are, then he will be the first to know. But I think a lot of the speculation is certainly unfair on him at this moment. "We know they have the interest, but if somebody is going to back that up, then do it - put your bid in, or if you don't, leave the kid alone and let him get on with his football. I think that is only fair for everybody. "If it is going to happen, then the sooner it does the better - if not, let the boy focus on his career, which to this point has been great and will get better. "He is a young player, he is only going to improve and he is established in the England squad. He has been a revelation for me during my tenure here. "But I think it is only fair that they either come and get him now or they let him concentrate on his football."
Related Bolton Wanderers News