- Bolton Wanderers News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Championship News
Bolton confirm Blackburn game will go ahead
Published : 21 Mar 2012 14:16:59
Bolton have confirmed they will take on Blackburn at the Reebok Stadium as scheduled on Saturday.
The fixture had been in doubt following the cardiac arrest Fabrice Muamba suffered at Tottenham last week.
However, the club have now stated the fixture will go ahead as planned, with a 3pm kick-off, and have also said they will remain in the FA Cup, with a date for their rearranged tie with Tottenham due to be confirmed by the Football Association.
Manager Owen Coyle told www.bwfc.co.uk: "We spoke together with the players as a group this morning and I talked with Fabrice's family last night.
"Fabrice's father Marcel and his fiancee Shauna were keen that we fulfil our fixtures. Once the players knew this, there was no doubt in our mind that we would play the matches."
On Sunday, as the club waited anxiously for news of Muamba's condition, it seemed impossible this weekend's game would go ahead.
Bolton's trip to Aston Villa was postponed on Sunday lunchtime as Coyle remained in London with the player and there were genuine fears that he would not come through.
However, increasingly optimistic reports of Muamba's condition on Monday raised spirits hugely and by Tuesday night, the 23-year-old was able to communicate with friends, family and the medical staff that have done so much to save his life.
Bolton club doctor Jonathan Tobin, who visited Muamba on Tuesday evening, said: "I'm glad to say that the early signs of recovery have continued. I went to see Fabrice last night. I went in and he said 'Hi, doc'.
"I asked him how he was and he said 'Fine'."