Stoke City 1 Bolton Wanderers 2: match report

17 April 2010 05:17
Bolton Wanderers staged a remarkable comeback at the Britannia Stadium where two late goals from Matt Taylor ended a disastrous sequence of four successive defeats in which they had failed to score a goal and virtually ensured Premier League survival for Owen Coyle's side.

However, until the 86th minute, Bolton appeared destined for a fifth successive defeat as they trailed to a 13th minute David Kitson goal.

Hull City v Bolton Wanderers previewWanderers lacked cohesion throughout and it was not until the arrival of substitute Vladimir Weiss in the 71st minute that they revealed a positive cutting edge.

It was Weiss who won the 86th minute free-kick that saw Taylor deliver a splendid equaliser, and then Weiss struck with equal aplomb on the right before crossing to leave Taylor bungling in the winner from close range.

Yet there were times when Stoke City's domination was such that they enjoyed the luxury of a mickey-taking exercise midway through the first half when woeful Wanderers were at their worst.

Victory for Bolton should ensure their survival with Burnley and Hull now the hot favourites to go down with already relegated Portsmouth.

However, there was a distinct uncertainty about Bolton from the outset, particularly in defence where they were fortunate to escape serious punishment as early as the 10th minute when Zat Knight and Jussi Jaaskelainen were embroiled in a hopeless tangle.

Robert Huth headed narrowly over and then struck a post with a further attempt, efforts that came either side of Kitson's 13th minute breakthrough goal. The inventive Tuncay drove high through the middle, Kitson had space to spare and rounded Jaaskelainen to finish with ease.

Bolton had failed to offer a positive attacking threat in the first half although they improved on the resumption, but substitute Ivan Klasnic shot narrowly wide.

Jack Wilshere had an attempt parried by Stoke goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen but the home side contrived to miss opportunities that would have put the issue beyond doubt.

Kitson was denied by Jaaskelainen, Tuncay hit the post and Kitson's follow-up attempt was turned over by Jaaskelainen. The Bolton goalkeeper also saved from Abdoulaye Faye who, in injury time, fluffed an excellent opportunity to equalise, but overall Bolton must be complimented on their sterling fightback.

Source: Telegraph