FA Cup joy for Blackwell's Blades

12 January 2010 10:19
The Blades were clinging onto Lee Williamson's early opener when Ward scored with his first touch and then immediately set up a third for Richard Cresswell.[LNB]A late Rangers comeback, courtesy of Akos Buzsaky's penalty and Damion Stewart's header, set up a nervy finish but the hosts were unable to arrest their dismal FA Cup record.[LNB]They have not won a single tie in the competition since 2001 - a run now stretching 13 games - so it was little surprise to see United join a list of teams including Luton, Grimsby and Vauxhall Motors in sending them spinning out at the first hurdle.[LNB]Chairman Flavio Briatore was back watching his team for the first time since his motor racing ban was lifted.[LNB]But they have now managed just one win in their last 10 games and were often booed by those who had bothered to turn up.[LNB]The empty seats all around the ground illustrated just how little this third-round replay had captured the imagination.[LNB]And for United, the prospect of a trip to Bolton in round four is unlikely to set the pulses racing.[LNB]Rangers went close through Mikele Leigertwood and Alejandro Faurlin in the first five minutes, but the Blades went ahead against the run of play.[LNB]Williamson gathered Nick Montgomery's curling cross on the angle of the Rangers penalty area and drilled a low shot across Radek Cerny.[LNB]Ched Evans should have doubled the lead when he raced through with only Cerny to beat, but the former Manchester City youngster's lob came back off the crossbar.[LNB]Moments later the visitors were indebted to Derek Geary for preserving their advantage, the defender clearing Kaspars Gorkss' header off the goal-line.[LNB]But the arrival of Ward, who started on the bench amid reports of a contract dispute at Bramall Lane, sparked the game into life.[LNB]The striker netted with his first touch when he met Stephen Quinn's cross in the 68th minute.[LNB]And seconds later Ward charged down the right wing and centred for Cresswell to tuck the third past a shell-shocked Cerney.[LNB]Rangers were gifted a lifeline when Geary was adjudged to have handled and Buzsaky converted the penalty.[LNB]And hopes of a dramatic fightback were raised when Stewart headed in Buzsaky's free-kick with two minutes remaining.[LNB]But a point-blank save by Blades keeper Mark Bunn from Antonio German in stoppage time secured his side the dubious honour of a trip to Owen Coyle's Bolton later this month.[LNB][LNB]

Source: Team_Talk