Elevenses - Rooney embraces his inner Shrek
Published: 24 Nov 2010 - 11:04:55
Elevenses loves making fun of footballers, but you've got to hand it to the rare specimen who's big enough to parody themselves.
Step up Wayne Rooney, who was pictured arriving at Glasgow airport carrying something other than the obligatory leather holdall and giant headphones.
Wazza was carrying a plastic bag, a plastic bag covered in pictures of none other than Shrek - the very same big-eared, filthy ogre who is often cited as Rooney's look-a-like.
Was it a lucky coincidence? Or has Rooney found a new humility after his recent 'troubles'? Has the England striker learned to embrace his inner Shrek?
The pictures got Elevenses thinking. How many other big-name stars of the game would be capable of such a statement of self parody?
Can you imagine Ashley Cole turning up at the airport dressed in a suit made of £50 notes? Or Joey Barton in prison clothing? How about Jamie Carragher in an England shirt? Maybe Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan ready for a three-legged race? Ryan Shawcross carrying a scythe? Or Kevin Davies as a giant yellow card?
Come on footballers of England, it's time to find the humour in this ridiculousness you inhabit. Elevenses is today dressed as a journalist.
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:Elevenses
- Elevenses is a high-energy performer who bites at the ankles of football and is not afraid to put a boot in. If it’s in the game, it’s fair game. Unsurprisingly Elevenses is served at 11am every weekday morning. So come and join us for a cup full of opinion and hilarity, and don’t be shy if you’ve got a story you think we should cover.
Previous Blog Posts
- Fergie slams snoods
- The Burmese dictator who wanted to buy United
- Tevez knocks spots off Mancini
- Christmas party season is upon us
- When is a humiliation not a humiliation?
- Premier League stars as X-Factor semi-finalists
- England can win the npower Championship
- Rooney embraces his inner Shrek
- Jose Mourinho will never retire
- Roo's behind you! Wazza the star in United panto
- Welcome to the big time Jack Wilshere
- Will and Kate step aside; Balotelli dumps his WAG by Text
- Beckham's MLS Cup dream dies
- The Simple Cash Solution to Selection-Gate
- Unbreakable Drogba Won't Dive For Malaria
- Leaving Party at the Palace? Edgar Davids orders a Taxi
- Footballing effigies are the future of Bonfire Night
- Maicon RIP: Killer Bale on the Loose
- Rafa v Roy: Pour some sugar on them
- Sharks circle for Mancini
- Welcome to the Processed Chicken Ewood Park!
- Elfish Arsenal have developed a winning hobbit; Owen Owen gone?
- England stars get a kick in the Ballon d'Ors
- Who said nobody likes Gary Neville?
- Robert Pires to non-league Crawley? Football really has gone mad
- If you don't drink milk you'll only be good enough to play for Liverpool
- Mancini tempts Rooney with 'Sex at the City'
- Is it really ok to swear on your girlfriend's life?
- Has Brett Favre been reading the Ashley Cole playbook?
- Kevin Davies goes down in history
- Is Peter Crouch the best sixth-choice international striker in world football?
- Vucinic to repeat pants trick if he scores against England
- Wayne Rooney ain't a chav innit; Murphy slams psycho managers
- American Invasion; Watch the best goal of all-time
- Tevez and Mancini close to blows; Liverpool Red Sox at 100-1
- Kop call for King Kenny; Beckham on target
- Carlos Salcido is in for a roasting; Bye bye Beckham?
- Holtby wants to dump Germany for England; Arsenal in the dark
- Beckham serves hooker Irma Nici with writ; Shot Togo keeper paid off
- Match of the Day finds a response; It's not great
- Beckham looks for huge payout from hooker; Drogba stadium to be unveiled
- Stephen Ireland's crib gets slammed; Schteeve McClaren is back
- Benitez berates Liverpool board; Houllier targets title with Villa
- Collymore beats up Match of the Day; Jack Wilshere plays TCFS