Elevenses - Leaving Party at the Palace? Edgar Davids orders a Taxi
Published: 09 Nov 2010 - 10:19:01
It was one of those transfers that reaffirms your faith in football. Edgar Davids, Champions League winner and international superstar, deciding to end his illustrious career in the metropolis they call Croydon.
Crystal Palace fans must have had dreadlocked kittens when they heard that one. Elevenses is wondering how many turned up to work the following day wearing Davids' prescription sunglasses and dreaming of a Davids-inspired return to their glory days.
Suddenly 37 was the perfect age for a midfielder. Davids never really relied on his pace anyway, so why not expect the mighty Ajax, AC Milan and Juventus (and Spurs) legend to be every bit as good as he was in the late 1990s?
Of course, his two-year absence from the game might have been a clue.
Sadly, just three months into his cameo, Davids' Crystal Palace career is already over. The Dutch maestro called it a "journey", and "one of the greatest experiences of his life".
For a man with 74 international caps to his name that's quite a statement. And it makes Elevenses curious as to what exactly Davids experienced at Selhurst Park.
Was it the seven starts he made for Palace that did it? Or the fact that they've had a horrible start to the season and look all-but doomed for relegation to League One?
Also, what exactly constitutes a "journey" these days? Elevenses would suggest three months on a pay-as-you-play arrangement is more of a "break" or a "stopover" than a "journey". A "journey" has to be at least a season doesn't it?
Maybe three months at Palace was the perfect prescription for a player who's finding it hard to hang up his boots.
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:Elevenses
- Elevenses is a high-energy performer who bites at the ankles of football and is not afraid to put a boot in. If it’s in the game, it’s fair game. Unsurprisingly Elevenses is served at 11am every weekday morning. So come and join us for a cup full of opinion and hilarity, and don’t be shy if you’ve got a story you think we should cover.
Previous Blog Posts
- Fergie slams snoods
- The Burmese dictator who wanted to buy United
- Tevez knocks spots off Mancini
- Christmas party season is upon us
- When is a humiliation not a humiliation?
- Premier League stars as X-Factor semi-finalists
- England can win the npower Championship
- Rooney embraces his inner Shrek
- Jose Mourinho will never retire
- Roo's behind you! Wazza the star in United panto
- Welcome to the big time Jack Wilshere
- Will and Kate step aside; Balotelli dumps his WAG by Text
- Beckham's MLS Cup dream dies
- The Simple Cash Solution to Selection-Gate
- Unbreakable Drogba Won't Dive For Malaria
- Leaving Party at the Palace? Edgar Davids orders a Taxi
- Footballing effigies are the future of Bonfire Night
- Maicon RIP: Killer Bale on the Loose
- Rafa v Roy: Pour some sugar on them
- Sharks circle for Mancini
- Welcome to the Processed Chicken Ewood Park!
- Elfish Arsenal have developed a winning hobbit; Owen Owen gone?
- England stars get a kick in the Ballon d'Ors
- Who said nobody likes Gary Neville?
- Robert Pires to non-league Crawley? Football really has gone mad
- If you don't drink milk you'll only be good enough to play for Liverpool
- Mancini tempts Rooney with 'Sex at the City'
- Is it really ok to swear on your girlfriend's life?
- Has Brett Favre been reading the Ashley Cole playbook?
- Kevin Davies goes down in history
- Is Peter Crouch the best sixth-choice international striker in world football?
- Vucinic to repeat pants trick if he scores against England
- Wayne Rooney ain't a chav innit; Murphy slams psycho managers
- American Invasion; Watch the best goal of all-time
- Tevez and Mancini close to blows; Liverpool Red Sox at 100-1
- Kop call for King Kenny; Beckham on target
- Carlos Salcido is in for a roasting; Bye bye Beckham?
- Holtby wants to dump Germany for England; Arsenal in the dark
- Beckham serves hooker Irma Nici with writ; Shot Togo keeper paid off
- Match of the Day finds a response; It's not great
- Beckham looks for huge payout from hooker; Drogba stadium to be unveiled
- Stephen Ireland's crib gets slammed; Schteeve McClaren is back
- Benitez berates Liverpool board; Houllier targets title with Villa
- Collymore beats up Match of the Day; Jack Wilshere plays TCFS