Elevenses - Footballing effigies are the future of Bonfire Night
Published: 05 Nov 2010 - 10:51:40
Elevenses was rather amused to read about Edenbridge Bonfire Society and their plans to burn a 50-foot Wayne Rooney tomorrow night.
"I hate football myself so I'm happy to burn a footballer," said spokesman Charles Laver.
The effigy will have a lucrative new contract in hand, a bag full of cash and be dressed in full United colours. But why has a small village in Kent taken this on?
Aside from the predictable "United fans don't live in Manchester" line, Elevenses can only assume there's a nearby society burning 50-foot prostitutes, or money...or both.
Based on Rooney's showing at the World Cup, there must be serious concerns his effigy won't catch alight. It could just linger on top of the pile and spit petulant sparks at the gathered masses.
Are footballing effigies the way forward on fireworks night? Elevenses would like to hope so, if only to provide some topical fodder once a year for this here excuse for a column.
Surely an Ashley Cole would go down superbly with almost everybody? As would a Sam Allardyce, or an El Hadji-Diouf. What about a Ferguson-Wenger double bill, or a collection of every England manager since you know when?
For sheer comedy value a 100-foot Peter Crouch would be genius, perhaps paired with a 6-foot Shaun Wright-Phillips. But when it comes to football villains, Sepp Blatter would take some beating.
Your ideas please. Burn baby burn.
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:Elevenses
- Elevenses is a high-energy performer who bites at the ankles of football and is not afraid to put a boot in. If it’s in the game, it’s fair game. Unsurprisingly Elevenses is served at 11am every weekday morning. So come and join us for a cup full of opinion and hilarity, and don’t be shy if you’ve got a story you think we should cover.
Previous Blog Posts
- Fergie slams snoods
- The Burmese dictator who wanted to buy United
- Tevez knocks spots off Mancini
- Christmas party season is upon us
- When is a humiliation not a humiliation?
- Premier League stars as X-Factor semi-finalists
- England can win the npower Championship
- Rooney embraces his inner Shrek
- Jose Mourinho will never retire
- Roo's behind you! Wazza the star in United panto
- Welcome to the big time Jack Wilshere
- Will and Kate step aside; Balotelli dumps his WAG by Text
- Beckham's MLS Cup dream dies
- The Simple Cash Solution to Selection-Gate
- Unbreakable Drogba Won't Dive For Malaria
- Leaving Party at the Palace? Edgar Davids orders a Taxi
- Footballing effigies are the future of Bonfire Night
- Maicon RIP: Killer Bale on the Loose
- Rafa v Roy: Pour some sugar on them
- Sharks circle for Mancini
- Welcome to the Processed Chicken Ewood Park!
- Elfish Arsenal have developed a winning hobbit; Owen Owen gone?
- England stars get a kick in the Ballon d'Ors
- Who said nobody likes Gary Neville?
- Robert Pires to non-league Crawley? Football really has gone mad
- If you don't drink milk you'll only be good enough to play for Liverpool
- Mancini tempts Rooney with 'Sex at the City'
- Is it really ok to swear on your girlfriend's life?
- Has Brett Favre been reading the Ashley Cole playbook?
- Kevin Davies goes down in history
- Is Peter Crouch the best sixth-choice international striker in world football?
- Vucinic to repeat pants trick if he scores against England
- Wayne Rooney ain't a chav innit; Murphy slams psycho managers
- American Invasion; Watch the best goal of all-time
- Tevez and Mancini close to blows; Liverpool Red Sox at 100-1
- Kop call for King Kenny; Beckham on target
- Carlos Salcido is in for a roasting; Bye bye Beckham?
- Holtby wants to dump Germany for England; Arsenal in the dark
- Beckham serves hooker Irma Nici with writ; Shot Togo keeper paid off
- Match of the Day finds a response; It's not great
- Beckham looks for huge payout from hooker; Drogba stadium to be unveiled
- Stephen Ireland's crib gets slammed; Schteeve McClaren is back
- Benitez berates Liverpool board; Houllier targets title with Villa
- Collymore beats up Match of the Day; Jack Wilshere plays TCFS