Elevenses - Maicon RIP: Killer Bale on the Loose
Published: 03 Nov 2010 - 10:46:27
Maicon was a flying Brazilian full-back in the mould of Roberto Carlos, Cafu and Carlos Alberto. An all-singing, all-dancing unstoppable force and one of the best players on the planet.
Named among the 23 nominees for the Ballon D'Or and in the FIFA All-Star Team at the 2010 World Cup, the 29-year-old was at the peak of his powers.
Elevenses will accept defending has never been a priority for Brazilian full-backs, but Maicon appeared to be better than most. Under Jose Mourinho he was a key member of the Inter Milan defence who shut out Barcelona on their way to Champions League triumph, and won a fourth straight Serie A title.
He was the living embodiment of footballing success, until a young Welshman named Gareth Bale treated him to a public execution.
Bale's was a crime of two parts. The starter took place at the San Siro, where he single-handedly rescued Tottenham from humiliation with a virtuoso hat-trick, and in so doing reduced his opposite man to a Sunday League clogger.
Then came the main course at White Hart Lane. To quote Andy Gray, Bale gave Maicon "a good old-fashioned roasting" for the full 90 minutes.
Rafael van der Vaart said he "killed" him. It was a "battering", a "mauling", a "hammering', a "romp", a "stuffing" and then some.
Bale dug the knife in and kept twisting it long after the Brazilian's reputation was dead on the White Hart Lane turf.
Farewell Maicon. You were a decent player lad.
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:Elevenses
- Elevenses is a high-energy performer who bites at the ankles of football and is not afraid to put a boot in. If it’s in the game, it’s fair game. Unsurprisingly Elevenses is served at 11am every weekday morning. So come and join us for a cup full of opinion and hilarity, and don’t be shy if you’ve got a story you think we should cover.
Previous Blog Posts
- Fergie slams snoods
- The Burmese dictator who wanted to buy United
- Tevez knocks spots off Mancini
- Christmas party season is upon us
- When is a humiliation not a humiliation?
- Premier League stars as X-Factor semi-finalists
- England can win the npower Championship
- Rooney embraces his inner Shrek
- Jose Mourinho will never retire
- Roo's behind you! Wazza the star in United panto
- Welcome to the big time Jack Wilshere
- Will and Kate step aside; Balotelli dumps his WAG by Text
- Beckham's MLS Cup dream dies
- The Simple Cash Solution to Selection-Gate
- Unbreakable Drogba Won't Dive For Malaria
- Leaving Party at the Palace? Edgar Davids orders a Taxi
- Footballing effigies are the future of Bonfire Night
- Maicon RIP: Killer Bale on the Loose
- Rafa v Roy: Pour some sugar on them
- Sharks circle for Mancini
- Welcome to the Processed Chicken Ewood Park!
- Elfish Arsenal have developed a winning hobbit; Owen Owen gone?
- England stars get a kick in the Ballon d'Ors
- Who said nobody likes Gary Neville?
- Robert Pires to non-league Crawley? Football really has gone mad
- If you don't drink milk you'll only be good enough to play for Liverpool
- Mancini tempts Rooney with 'Sex at the City'
- Is it really ok to swear on your girlfriend's life?
- Has Brett Favre been reading the Ashley Cole playbook?
- Kevin Davies goes down in history
- Is Peter Crouch the best sixth-choice international striker in world football?
- Vucinic to repeat pants trick if he scores against England
- Wayne Rooney ain't a chav innit; Murphy slams psycho managers
- American Invasion; Watch the best goal of all-time
- Tevez and Mancini close to blows; Liverpool Red Sox at 100-1
- Kop call for King Kenny; Beckham on target
- Carlos Salcido is in for a roasting; Bye bye Beckham?
- Holtby wants to dump Germany for England; Arsenal in the dark
- Beckham serves hooker Irma Nici with writ; Shot Togo keeper paid off
- Match of the Day finds a response; It's not great
- Beckham looks for huge payout from hooker; Drogba stadium to be unveiled
- Stephen Ireland's crib gets slammed; Schteeve McClaren is back
- Benitez berates Liverpool board; Houllier targets title with Villa
- Collymore beats up Match of the Day; Jack Wilshere plays TCFS