Elevenses - Is it really ok to swear on your girlfriend's life?
Published: 18 Oct 2010 - 09:51:25
Whatever happens over a Premier League weekend you can guarantee they'll be a lot of tosh talked. Managers will moan at refereeing decisions, players will blindly defend their team-mates and a smattering of both will conveniently claim they blinked at the vital moment.
But how on earth do we know if these highly-paid, fiercely loyal and blinkered chaps are actually telling the truth?
Perhaps the Premier League should introduce a lie detector test in press conferences? Can you imagine the hysterics if Arsene Wenger went through an entire 10-minute interview with the needle jumping as if there was a violent earthquake in full flow.
Maybe they could introduce the 'truth drug' used so effectively by Jack Bauer's CTU team in 24. Slip Wayne Rooney and Sir Alex Ferguson a dose of that at the moment and you can only imagine the colour of the air afterwards.
What about a 'truth for heroes' week, where every player and manager in the Premier League pledged to tell it like it is to benefit the troops abroad?
These measures may be some way off, but in the meantime Birmingham's Scott Dann has stumbled upon a temporary solution.
The defender was adjudged to have fouled Arsenal's Marouane Chamakh on Saturday, leading to the penalty which brought the Gunners level. But he was so adamant he didn't touch the Moroccan he swore on his girlfriend's life in the dressing room afterwards.
Now we all know about footballers and their love lives, but surely Dann wouldn't risk his beloved purely to protest a refereeing decision? Would he?
Elevenses assumes not. And based purely on his testimony we are happy to conclude Chamakh dived like Tom Daley to get Arsenal back in the game - until of course Chamakh comes out and ups the ante.
To do so he really needs to swear on a close family member or his religious figure of choice.
Then we'll revisit the debate.
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:Elevenses
- Elevenses is a high-energy performer who bites at the ankles of football and is not afraid to put a boot in. If it’s in the game, it’s fair game. Unsurprisingly Elevenses is served at 11am every weekday morning. So come and join us for a cup full of opinion and hilarity, and don’t be shy if you’ve got a story you think we should cover.
Previous Blog Posts
- Fergie slams snoods
- The Burmese dictator who wanted to buy United
- Tevez knocks spots off Mancini
- Christmas party season is upon us
- When is a humiliation not a humiliation?
- Premier League stars as X-Factor semi-finalists
- England can win the npower Championship
- Rooney embraces his inner Shrek
- Jose Mourinho will never retire
- Roo's behind you! Wazza the star in United panto
- Welcome to the big time Jack Wilshere
- Will and Kate step aside; Balotelli dumps his WAG by Text
- Beckham's MLS Cup dream dies
- The Simple Cash Solution to Selection-Gate
- Unbreakable Drogba Won't Dive For Malaria
- Leaving Party at the Palace? Edgar Davids orders a Taxi
- Footballing effigies are the future of Bonfire Night
- Maicon RIP: Killer Bale on the Loose
- Rafa v Roy: Pour some sugar on them
- Sharks circle for Mancini
- Welcome to the Processed Chicken Ewood Park!
- Elfish Arsenal have developed a winning hobbit; Owen Owen gone?
- England stars get a kick in the Ballon d'Ors
- Who said nobody likes Gary Neville?
- Robert Pires to non-league Crawley? Football really has gone mad
- If you don't drink milk you'll only be good enough to play for Liverpool
- Mancini tempts Rooney with 'Sex at the City'
- Is it really ok to swear on your girlfriend's life?
- Has Brett Favre been reading the Ashley Cole playbook?
- Kevin Davies goes down in history
- Is Peter Crouch the best sixth-choice international striker in world football?
- Vucinic to repeat pants trick if he scores against England
- Wayne Rooney ain't a chav innit; Murphy slams psycho managers
- American Invasion; Watch the best goal of all-time
- Tevez and Mancini close to blows; Liverpool Red Sox at 100-1
- Kop call for King Kenny; Beckham on target
- Carlos Salcido is in for a roasting; Bye bye Beckham?
- Holtby wants to dump Germany for England; Arsenal in the dark
- Beckham serves hooker Irma Nici with writ; Shot Togo keeper paid off
- Match of the Day finds a response; It's not great
- Beckham looks for huge payout from hooker; Drogba stadium to be unveiled
- Stephen Ireland's crib gets slammed; Schteeve McClaren is back
- Benitez berates Liverpool board; Houllier targets title with Villa
- Collymore beats up Match of the Day; Jack Wilshere plays TCFS