Elevenses - Kevin Davies goes down in history
Published: 13 Oct 2010 - 11:09:11
Is 20 minutes in an England shirt at Wembley something you can dine out on for eternity? For Kevin Davies' sake let's hope so.
The 'Beast of Bolton' came on for Peter Crouch last night and immediately set about putting himself about.
After 15 minutes of frantic scurrying he did what he does best...enter the book for dangerous use of the elbow while challenging for a header.
Soon after he threw a boot at a cross and came pretty close to scoring...and to knocking the Montenegro goalkeeper into the middle of next season. Thankfully, and sensibly, the referee kept his red card in his pocket.
But Davies' England adventure wasn't quite over. There were press duties to fulfill and he put in a superb performance to Sky Sports cameras.
"It was brilliant. From the first moment I arrived, I've enjoyed every minute," Davies said.
"I worked really hard in training trying to make an impression and I think I did that after the manager threw me on for the last 20 minutes to try and win the game. We didn't quite do that but I'm delighted to win a cap."
With that the oldest England debutant for 60 years was done for the night and presumably back home to a proud wife carrying a Montenegro shirt and an England cap in his bag.
But Elevenses can't help but question the whole point of the Davies exercise. Did Fabio Capello really expect him to come on and score the winner, or was he just trying to make the point that this England team is not a closed shop for the big boys?
And if he never picks him again, which Elevenses would suggest is fairly likely, what exactly has been achieved here?
With Andy Carroll waiting in the wings it all seems like a bit of a waste of time. And it feels a lot like something Graham Taylor might have done.
Any chance we could have an England cap too?
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:Elevenses
- Elevenses is a high-energy performer who bites at the ankles of football and is not afraid to put a boot in. If it’s in the game, it’s fair game. Unsurprisingly Elevenses is served at 11am every weekday morning. So come and join us for a cup full of opinion and hilarity, and don’t be shy if you’ve got a story you think we should cover.
Previous Blog Posts
- Fergie slams snoods
- The Burmese dictator who wanted to buy United
- Tevez knocks spots off Mancini
- Christmas party season is upon us
- When is a humiliation not a humiliation?
- Premier League stars as X-Factor semi-finalists
- England can win the npower Championship
- Rooney embraces his inner Shrek
- Jose Mourinho will never retire
- Roo's behind you! Wazza the star in United panto
- Welcome to the big time Jack Wilshere
- Will and Kate step aside; Balotelli dumps his WAG by Text
- Beckham's MLS Cup dream dies
- The Simple Cash Solution to Selection-Gate
- Unbreakable Drogba Won't Dive For Malaria
- Leaving Party at the Palace? Edgar Davids orders a Taxi
- Footballing effigies are the future of Bonfire Night
- Maicon RIP: Killer Bale on the Loose
- Rafa v Roy: Pour some sugar on them
- Sharks circle for Mancini
- Welcome to the Processed Chicken Ewood Park!
- Elfish Arsenal have developed a winning hobbit; Owen Owen gone?
- England stars get a kick in the Ballon d'Ors
- Who said nobody likes Gary Neville?
- Robert Pires to non-league Crawley? Football really has gone mad
- If you don't drink milk you'll only be good enough to play for Liverpool
- Mancini tempts Rooney with 'Sex at the City'
- Is it really ok to swear on your girlfriend's life?
- Has Brett Favre been reading the Ashley Cole playbook?
- Kevin Davies goes down in history
- Is Peter Crouch the best sixth-choice international striker in world football?
- Vucinic to repeat pants trick if he scores against England
- Wayne Rooney ain't a chav innit; Murphy slams psycho managers
- American Invasion; Watch the best goal of all-time
- Tevez and Mancini close to blows; Liverpool Red Sox at 100-1
- Kop call for King Kenny; Beckham on target
- Carlos Salcido is in for a roasting; Bye bye Beckham?
- Holtby wants to dump Germany for England; Arsenal in the dark
- Beckham serves hooker Irma Nici with writ; Shot Togo keeper paid off
- Match of the Day finds a response; It's not great
- Beckham looks for huge payout from hooker; Drogba stadium to be unveiled
- Stephen Ireland's crib gets slammed; Schteeve McClaren is back
- Benitez berates Liverpool board; Houllier targets title with Villa
- Collymore beats up Match of the Day; Jack Wilshere plays TCFS