Elevenses - Is Peter Crouch the best sixth-choice international striker in world football?
Published: 12 Oct 2010 - 10:09:12
Who said England had no strength in depth? Lining up at Wembley tonight will be a 'sixth-choice' striker who has scored 21 times in 40 appearances for his country.
It's a goals-to-game ratio makes Peter Crouch more likely to find the net in international colours than Sir Bobby Charlton, Alan Shearer and Michael Owen in their prime.
The big question Elevenses is pondering today therefore, is where might one find the five world-class strikers who are keeping Crouchy at the back of the England line?
Wayne Rooney we can just about accept. He might have played like a park player in South Africa, but the boy's got chops - and he's not all about scoring goals anyway.
Bent has one international goal, Zamora one international cap. Heskey has seven goal from 62 caps. So surely it's just a shoot-out between Crouchy and Defoe, who has 15 goals from 45 starts, for who partners Wazza up top?
But if that was the case why did Fabio Capello embarrass the nation by pleading with Heskey to come out of international retirement? The answer, he trusts Crouch about as far as he can throw him - and he can't throw him very far (Elevenses is picturing a javelin launch and reconsidering that one now).
Elevenses can't help but feel Crouch is getting the rough end of what must be a very long stick. The boy puts on a shirt and he finds the onion bag - what more can he do? The last seven times he's started for England, guess what happened? HE BULGED!
Apparently he's not fast enough, Mr Capello said yesterday. But Elevenses is beginning to wonder if Capello simply doesn't like the cut of his jib.
Come on Crouchy, bag a hat-trick tonight lad and then see what happens.
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:Elevenses
- Elevenses is a high-energy performer who bites at the ankles of football and is not afraid to put a boot in. If it’s in the game, it’s fair game. Unsurprisingly Elevenses is served at 11am every weekday morning. So come and join us for a cup full of opinion and hilarity, and don’t be shy if you’ve got a story you think we should cover.
Previous Blog Posts
- Fergie slams snoods
- The Burmese dictator who wanted to buy United
- Tevez knocks spots off Mancini
- Christmas party season is upon us
- When is a humiliation not a humiliation?
- Premier League stars as X-Factor semi-finalists
- England can win the npower Championship
- Rooney embraces his inner Shrek
- Jose Mourinho will never retire
- Roo's behind you! Wazza the star in United panto
- Welcome to the big time Jack Wilshere
- Will and Kate step aside; Balotelli dumps his WAG by Text
- Beckham's MLS Cup dream dies
- The Simple Cash Solution to Selection-Gate
- Unbreakable Drogba Won't Dive For Malaria
- Leaving Party at the Palace? Edgar Davids orders a Taxi
- Footballing effigies are the future of Bonfire Night
- Maicon RIP: Killer Bale on the Loose
- Rafa v Roy: Pour some sugar on them
- Sharks circle for Mancini
- Welcome to the Processed Chicken Ewood Park!
- Elfish Arsenal have developed a winning hobbit; Owen Owen gone?
- England stars get a kick in the Ballon d'Ors
- Who said nobody likes Gary Neville?
- Robert Pires to non-league Crawley? Football really has gone mad
- If you don't drink milk you'll only be good enough to play for Liverpool
- Mancini tempts Rooney with 'Sex at the City'
- Is it really ok to swear on your girlfriend's life?
- Has Brett Favre been reading the Ashley Cole playbook?
- Kevin Davies goes down in history
- Is Peter Crouch the best sixth-choice international striker in world football?
- Vucinic to repeat pants trick if he scores against England
- Wayne Rooney ain't a chav innit; Murphy slams psycho managers
- American Invasion; Watch the best goal of all-time
- Tevez and Mancini close to blows; Liverpool Red Sox at 100-1
- Kop call for King Kenny; Beckham on target
- Carlos Salcido is in for a roasting; Bye bye Beckham?
- Holtby wants to dump Germany for England; Arsenal in the dark
- Beckham serves hooker Irma Nici with writ; Shot Togo keeper paid off
- Match of the Day finds a response; It's not great
- Beckham looks for huge payout from hooker; Drogba stadium to be unveiled
- Stephen Ireland's crib gets slammed; Schteeve McClaren is back
- Benitez berates Liverpool board; Houllier targets title with Villa
- Collymore beats up Match of the Day; Jack Wilshere plays TCFS