Elevenses - Holtby wants to dump Germany for England; Arsenal in the dark
Published: 29 Sep 2010 - 10:46:50
After the 'Arteta for England' debacle finished with the mother of all anticlimaxes, out pops another foreigner hoping to switch allegiances and don three lions on his chest.
Lewis Holtby, current captain of Germany's under 21 side, admitted on TalkSport yesterday that he would be open to the idea of ditching the old enemy in favour of a spot in Fabio Capello's squad.
The half-English, half-German youngster said: "I would definitely listen to [Fabio Capello]. There is always a chance for a conversation.
"England and Germany own 50% of my heart and I really love both countries and I pay respect to all of them and especially to a great guy like Capello - he's a legend in the sport of football."
Holtby, who is an avid Everton fan, added: "That’s the decision of the high guys of the English Football Association. There's a lot of British talent and a lot of really good footballers in England.
"I haven't spoken to anyone, no one has phoned me."
No one from the FA has phoned him? The guy is young, extremely talented, wants to play for us and actually has a decent proportion of English blood. What else does he need?!
Stuart Pearce needs to jump on the next budget flight to Mainz and beg him to ditch the Germans. If he doesn't, then we'll all probably be watching Holtby rip us apart at Euro 2012.
- - -
In other news, Arsenal's game against Partizan Belgrade was almost cancelled last night as massive power cuts hit the stadium.
Floodlights kept going out and electricity in the players' dressing even went down.
And the source of all the information? Not Sky Sports, not the beeb and not UEFA.
Denilson's Twitter account - read it HERE.
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:Elevenses
- Elevenses is a high-energy performer who bites at the ankles of football and is not afraid to put a boot in. If it’s in the game, it’s fair game. Unsurprisingly Elevenses is served at 11am every weekday morning. So come and join us for a cup full of opinion and hilarity, and don’t be shy if you’ve got a story you think we should cover.
Previous Blog Posts
- Fergie slams snoods
- The Burmese dictator who wanted to buy United
- Tevez knocks spots off Mancini
- Christmas party season is upon us
- When is a humiliation not a humiliation?
- Premier League stars as X-Factor semi-finalists
- England can win the npower Championship
- Rooney embraces his inner Shrek
- Jose Mourinho will never retire
- Roo's behind you! Wazza the star in United panto
- Welcome to the big time Jack Wilshere
- Will and Kate step aside; Balotelli dumps his WAG by Text
- Beckham's MLS Cup dream dies
- The Simple Cash Solution to Selection-Gate
- Unbreakable Drogba Won't Dive For Malaria
- Leaving Party at the Palace? Edgar Davids orders a Taxi
- Footballing effigies are the future of Bonfire Night
- Maicon RIP: Killer Bale on the Loose
- Rafa v Roy: Pour some sugar on them
- Sharks circle for Mancini
- Welcome to the Processed Chicken Ewood Park!
- Elfish Arsenal have developed a winning hobbit; Owen Owen gone?
- England stars get a kick in the Ballon d'Ors
- Who said nobody likes Gary Neville?
- Robert Pires to non-league Crawley? Football really has gone mad
- If you don't drink milk you'll only be good enough to play for Liverpool
- Mancini tempts Rooney with 'Sex at the City'
- Is it really ok to swear on your girlfriend's life?
- Has Brett Favre been reading the Ashley Cole playbook?
- Kevin Davies goes down in history
- Is Peter Crouch the best sixth-choice international striker in world football?
- Vucinic to repeat pants trick if he scores against England
- Wayne Rooney ain't a chav innit; Murphy slams psycho managers
- American Invasion; Watch the best goal of all-time
- Tevez and Mancini close to blows; Liverpool Red Sox at 100-1
- Kop call for King Kenny; Beckham on target
- Carlos Salcido is in for a roasting; Bye bye Beckham?
- Holtby wants to dump Germany for England; Arsenal in the dark
- Beckham serves hooker Irma Nici with writ; Shot Togo keeper paid off
- Match of the Day finds a response; It's not great
- Beckham looks for huge payout from hooker; Drogba stadium to be unveiled
- Stephen Ireland's crib gets slammed; Schteeve McClaren is back
- Benitez berates Liverpool board; Houllier targets title with Villa
- Collymore beats up Match of the Day; Jack Wilshere plays TCFS