Elevenses - Match of the Day finds a response; It's not great
Published: 27 Sep 2010 - 11:12:04
Football pundits are always looking for a response. Concede a goal, find a response. Get a man sent off, find a response. Get half your leg removed by Ryan Shawcross, find a response.
All of which made Saturday night's Match of the Day compulsive viewing. Having been lampooned by first Stan Collymore, and then most of the national media, Elevenses was looking for a monumental response from Messrs Lineker, Hansen and Shearer.
Everything started well. Lineker introduced his pundits with a suitably trenchant reference to just how 'expert' they actually are, and promised a show full of surprises (from the football at least).
And then David Villa signed for Manchester City. Not an unreasonable thought given City's credit rating, but a howler nonetheless.
"David Silva!" piped up Lineker in an attempt to write Shearer's clanger. It was too late. The good ship MOTD swayed from side to side and all hands were on deck.
Then our Gary forgot to ask our Alan to give his opinion on Liverpool. Then when he did ask him he cut him off before he'd had the chance to say anything. Then it was revealed that last season's goal of season competition had never been concluded.
For those of you who missed the show, Liverpool were so bad they looked lucky to have David N'Gog to call on. And we really didn't need our Alan to tell us that anyway.
And Maynor Figueroa's goal won.
Next week on MOTD...Lionel Messi signs for Wolves, the 1981 goal of the season competition is concluded (my money's on George Best - see below), and Liverpool...are still rubbish.
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:Elevenses
- Elevenses is a high-energy performer who bites at the ankles of football and is not afraid to put a boot in. If it’s in the game, it’s fair game. Unsurprisingly Elevenses is served at 11am every weekday morning. So come and join us for a cup full of opinion and hilarity, and don’t be shy if you’ve got a story you think we should cover.
Previous Blog Posts
- Fergie slams snoods
- The Burmese dictator who wanted to buy United
- Tevez knocks spots off Mancini
- Christmas party season is upon us
- When is a humiliation not a humiliation?
- Premier League stars as X-Factor semi-finalists
- England can win the npower Championship
- Rooney embraces his inner Shrek
- Jose Mourinho will never retire
- Roo's behind you! Wazza the star in United panto
- Welcome to the big time Jack Wilshere
- Will and Kate step aside; Balotelli dumps his WAG by Text
- Beckham's MLS Cup dream dies
- The Simple Cash Solution to Selection-Gate
- Unbreakable Drogba Won't Dive For Malaria
- Leaving Party at the Palace? Edgar Davids orders a Taxi
- Footballing effigies are the future of Bonfire Night
- Maicon RIP: Killer Bale on the Loose
- Rafa v Roy: Pour some sugar on them
- Sharks circle for Mancini
- Welcome to the Processed Chicken Ewood Park!
- Elfish Arsenal have developed a winning hobbit; Owen Owen gone?
- England stars get a kick in the Ballon d'Ors
- Who said nobody likes Gary Neville?
- Robert Pires to non-league Crawley? Football really has gone mad
- If you don't drink milk you'll only be good enough to play for Liverpool
- Mancini tempts Rooney with 'Sex at the City'
- Is it really ok to swear on your girlfriend's life?
- Has Brett Favre been reading the Ashley Cole playbook?
- Kevin Davies goes down in history
- Is Peter Crouch the best sixth-choice international striker in world football?
- Vucinic to repeat pants trick if he scores against England
- Wayne Rooney ain't a chav innit; Murphy slams psycho managers
- American Invasion; Watch the best goal of all-time
- Tevez and Mancini close to blows; Liverpool Red Sox at 100-1
- Kop call for King Kenny; Beckham on target
- Carlos Salcido is in for a roasting; Bye bye Beckham?
- Holtby wants to dump Germany for England; Arsenal in the dark
- Beckham serves hooker Irma Nici with writ; Shot Togo keeper paid off
- Match of the Day finds a response; It's not great
- Beckham looks for huge payout from hooker; Drogba stadium to be unveiled
- Stephen Ireland's crib gets slammed; Schteeve McClaren is back
- Benitez berates Liverpool board; Houllier targets title with Villa
- Collymore beats up Match of the Day; Jack Wilshere plays TCFS