Bernstein pledges assistance
Published: 12 May 2011 - 07:30:06
Football Association chairman David Bernstein has promised to help FIFA's investigation into the latest World Cup bidding corruption claims as much as possible.
The FA will send a full dossier of the latest evidence provided to Tuesday's Parliamentary select committee. Two FIFA executive committee (ExCo) members were accused in the committee of being paid USD1.5million to vote for Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid. Lord Triesman also alleged there had been "improper and unethical" behaviour by four other FIFA members.
Bernstein said: "I can confirm that we have received a letter from (secretary general) Jerome Valcke at FIFA following the select committee hearing this week. We have already written to Mr Valcke pledging our support for the FIFA investigation and will co-operate fully with it."
FIFA president Sepp Blatter said the allegations had to be dealt with before the body's congress in Zurich in three weeks' time.
He said: "We have to do it very fast. We have a congress to come and have to deal with this matter before the congress and not just kick it out of the minds of FIFA and (say) we will deal with it afterwards. We have to do it now, immediately, and we have three weeks. We must accelerate the movement, whether it is for the good or for the bad."
FIFA said in a statement that Valcke had written to the FA and expressed "extreme concern" at the allegations and calling for a response with the "utmost urgency".
The allegations of bribes paid for votes for Qatar were contained in a submission to the culture, media and sport committee by the Sunday Times.
The FIFA statement went on: "The Sunday Times had already provided world's football governing body with all of the evidence and documentation at its disposal.
"Nevertheless, FIFA asks the English newspaper to submit as soon as possible any other piece of evidence that it may be in possession of and which has not yet been sent to FIFA.
"In particular, reference is made in the letter to the allegations regarding a 'whistleblower who had worked with the Qatar bid', who allegedly made some declarations regarding the matter in question."
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:Tom Littlefield
- Seen as the heir apparent to Jan Molby until an underactive thyroid gland curtailed this youngster’s development, Tom Littlefield will now concentrate on making a “big pitch” (pun) during South Africa 2010. As Barnet’s staunchest Gooner, he is well placed to judge good football. So, while the England team provides your compulsory tournament displeasure, Tom will look to rouse your enthusiasm for the beautiful game (and WAGS) in the oasis of oratory that is his World Cup Diary.
Previous Blog Posts
- Dutch overstay their welcome
- Maradona to decide his own fate
- Paul the Octopus predicts Spain victory
- Suarez nominated for goalkeeping award
- Schweinsteiger better than Messi
- Maradona heats up Germany clash
- Uruguay win hearts and minds in South Africa
- Messi and Maradona raise the stakes
- England lose their pants
- Japan goes wild
- Defoe bats Beckenbauer barbs
- Kanu blasts Yakubu miss
- Torres gets his excuses in
- The Godfather strikes back
- Le Sulk ready to quit France
- Algeria prepare for war
- Maradona blasts Pele and Platini
- Red card for Robbie Earle
- Drogba waits on FIFA approval
- Vuvuzelas could be banned
- Ronaldo meets Mandela
- Milner worry for England
- Heartbreak for Nani
- Stampede sounds fan warning