Barry the Pro - Typical Germans win football matches
Published: 08 Apr 2010 - 06:59:35
Don't believe what Fergie is telling you this morning United fans. Your team weren't cheated, they weren't the better side and they don't deserve to be in the semi-finals of the Champions League.
United was Robbened. They definitely weren't robbed.
We all knew what was coming after the final whistle. Fergie had to have a dig, it's his birth right. But to go with the 1970s "typical Germans" line was nothing short of ridiculous. It was like your great granddad had come back from the dead and taken over at Old Trafford after 10 pints of bitter. Alf Garnett eat your heart out (google it younguns).
Rafael absolutely deserved to go. He kicked Mark van Bommel off the ball for his first yellow and blatantly tugged Franck Ribery's shirt for his second. The words 'nailed' and 'on' were invented and married together for refereeing decisions just like it.
Naturally the Germans protested, and it might well be that their protests helped convinced the official. But that's missing the point. Rafael could have got a straight red for the first one - remember David Beckham in 1998? There is no question the referee got it right this time.
Fergie would like to think his players would have acted differently, that Old Trafford breeds an altogether higher moral class of footballer. I'm not buying it, not for a second - especially when you remember Cristiano Ronaldo in action at the Theatre of Dreams last season.
Ultimately, Fergie's attack on the Germans smacked of desperation. The only thing typical about Bayern's performance was their superb organisation, drive and commitment to the cause. They were dead and buried at 3-0 down, but they fought back and did what typical Germans do best - win important football matches.
- - -
Nag's Head got 'Messi'd' on Sunday by the man they're calling 'the best Sunday League footballer...EVER'.
The bloke is so unplayable they call him 'quagmire', and he's still only 22 years old.
That said, Sunday League players usually peak at around 16 - for obvious reasons.
READ BARRY THE PRO EXCLUSIVELY AT FOOTBALL.CO.UK EVERY THURSDAY
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:barry the pro
- 'Bazza' lives, breathes and dies football every day of his life, before waking up the next morning to do it all over again. On the pitch his penchant for flowery flicks and tricks tends to frustrate his team-mates at Olympiacos Nag's Head FC, but all is forgiven when he shares his generous supply of male grooming products in the showers. BTP drinks lager and lime and has dedicated his life to scoring from the halfway line. Read him on Thursdays.
Previous Blog Posts
- World Cup fever brings out the chav in all of us
- The Capello Index revealed
- All football managers are bigots
- Do not board a plane with Franck Ribery
- Danny Rose may as well retire
- Typical Germans win football matches
- Who said Fabregas was a lightweight fairy
- David Moyes would have battered Mancini
- Bring on P Diddy at the Palace
- Darren Fletcher is the Scottish Zidane
- My England starting XI for the World Cup
- All hail Stoke City and their long-throw genius
- Ronaldinho could play into his 70s
- Arsene Wenger is the Fagin of football
- Professional footballers are filthy animals
- Introducing the revolutionary iRooney
- Sexy Arsenal are tiptoeing their way to the title
- Not even Gary Neville can save Liverpool now
- Beckham does exactly what it says on the tin
- Ten reasons to love Liverpool
- Englands easy route to World Cup glory
- Why Liverpool should join the SPL
- Cheat Thierry Henry is just like the rest of them
- Save the England full-back
- Why Rooney junior is the key to World Cup glory
- I thought United fans ate prawn sandwiches
- Southgate pays the penalty again
- Beckham the beard is ridiculous