Barry the Pro - All hail Stoke City and their long-throw genius
Published: 25 Feb 2010 - 07:47:30
English football hacks are a horribly predictable bunch of bandwagon-jumping morons. Outrageous, but generally speaking truer than Spandau Ballet. And here's why.
Every one of them has a sickly man crush on Jose Mourinho. The Special One can fart genius as far as 'Bleet Street' is concerned, and they won't let anybody tell you otherwise.
You've heard it a million times. Mourinho is the master psychologist, the man capable of transforming a good player into a great one, the man who makes things happen.
That he manages to do this by boring the opposition into submission with his attritional anti-football simply adds to his mystique. After all, who cares what Mourinho's team look like, when the man himself looks so good on the sidelines?
Mourinho's Porto - boring. Mourinho's Chelsea - boring. Mourinho's Inter - really boring.
So why aren't the same rules applied to Tony Pulis and Stoke? Ok, I take the point that Tony isn't blessed in the looks department, but based on the resources at Britainnia Stadium and his results, he's every bit as special as Mourinho.
Yet the media would rather concentrate on the fact his team kick lumps out of the opposition and utilise the best throw since Luke Skywalker downed that giant beast in Jabba's dungeon.
So why all the negativity around Rory Delap? The man has taken an isolated skill and transformed it into a match-winning asset. He's the David Beckham of throw-ins. He should he worth £30 million.
That Pulis is making the most of it is testament to his genius. As is the fact he's keeping a ropey Championship squad in the Premier League and now finds himself in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup.
I love Stoke. I love the way they stand up to the preening prima donnas in the Premier League and give them a right battering. The top flight hasn't seen an outfit like them since Fash the Bash and Vinny Jones played their part in Wimbledon's Crazy Gang.
I really hope they win the FA Cup.
As for Mourinho, you have to give the man credit. By claiming the current Chelsea side is all his work, he's created a no-lose Champions League tie for the Special One brand.
May the least boring side win. And for once, it's Chelsea.
- - -
Nag's Head beat East Marling Fisherman 5-1 on Sunday, a motley crew if ever you saw one.
Both strikers were wearing electronic tags, and apparently the range meant they couldn't go further than the six-yard box at the far end of the pitch.
Much hilarity ensued when their winger sent over a cross that stuck in the mud on the goal line. Our keeper did a moonwalk back to get the ball, with the two monkeys stranded with the goal gaping.
READ BARRY THE PRO EXCLUSIVELY AT FOOTBALL.CO.UK EVERY THURSDAY
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:barry the pro
- 'Bazza' lives, breathes and dies football every day of his life, before waking up the next morning to do it all over again. On the pitch his penchant for flowery flicks and tricks tends to frustrate his team-mates at Olympiacos Nag's Head FC, but all is forgiven when he shares his generous supply of male grooming products in the showers. BTP drinks lager and lime and has dedicated his life to scoring from the halfway line. Read him on Thursdays.
Previous Blog Posts
- World Cup fever brings out the chav in all of us
- The Capello Index revealed
- All football managers are bigots
- Do not board a plane with Franck Ribery
- Danny Rose may as well retire
- Typical Germans win football matches
- Who said Fabregas was a lightweight fairy
- David Moyes would have battered Mancini
- Bring on P Diddy at the Palace
- Darren Fletcher is the Scottish Zidane
- My England starting XI for the World Cup
- All hail Stoke City and their long-throw genius
- Ronaldinho could play into his 70s
- Arsene Wenger is the Fagin of football
- Professional footballers are filthy animals
- Introducing the revolutionary iRooney
- Sexy Arsenal are tiptoeing their way to the title
- Not even Gary Neville can save Liverpool now
- Beckham does exactly what it says on the tin
- Ten reasons to love Liverpool
- Englands easy route to World Cup glory
- Why Liverpool should join the SPL
- Cheat Thierry Henry is just like the rest of them
- Save the England full-back
- Why Rooney junior is the key to World Cup glory
- I thought United fans ate prawn sandwiches
- Southgate pays the penalty again
- Beckham the beard is ridiculous