Barry the Pro - Sexy Arsenal are tiptoeing their way to the title
Published: 21 Jan 2010 - 06:51:15
If the Premier League was a cheesy nightclub, Chelsea and Manchester City would be roped off in VIP, necking pints of Cristal and unashamedly beckoning every good-looking bird on the dance floor to join them.
Manchester United and Liverpool would be lingering in there too, jealously guarding their prized assets until their credit cards are declined and they get thrown in with the masses. "You seen Stevie Gee?"..."Um, I think he went outside for a bit with that Italian bird."
Down in the '£10-drink-all-you-can' room Stoke and Wigan are seriously ripping it up, throwing beer in the air and chatting up every fancy lady in earshot. "Hey love...this man here can throw a football further than most men can kick it."
Meanwhile, Tottenham and Aston Villa are dressed up to the nines and trying desperately to get into VIP. "We won the double in '61 mate, every heard of Jimmy Greaves?"
"Come on man, we've got Emile Heskey. Surely that makes us a big club?"
The night is already over for Bolton and Hull. The doormen are a picky bunch and they just didn't like the look of Kevin Davies and Jimmy Bullard. The Championship Kebab Shop beckons. They'll see an emotional Portsmouth in there, eating packets of ketchup and chewing on wooden forks.
Wolves and Burnley somehow got in with fake IDs, and are sat together drinking snakebite, but it's only a matter of time before they get found out.
Fulham, Everton and Birmingham are rather pleased with themselves. They've all pulled middle-of-the-road birds and very sensibly brought out exactly the right amount of cash to see them through the night. "That'll do us then."
West Ham and Sunderland are, excuse the pun, hammered. They're enjoying every second of it and don't really care what happens next.
But in a dimly-lit corner, a tall, suave, and impeccably charming gentleman is making his play. Having turned up late, he avoided the scraps outside and had no problem checking his stylish coat. The most beautiful woman in the club is now in his sights. Some might call her the most prized trophy in the cabinet.
"The name's FC, Arsenal FC," he whispers. "Let me get you something to drink."
And before you know it, she's smitten. "You're not like the others," she says. "You've got class and you know how to play the game. That Chelsea bloke offered me £50 million, Man City said they'd buy me a continent. Man United showed me a grainy picture of George Best and Liverpool pulled the sympathy card. But you're different."
As the lights come on, Arsenal and their trophy lady are the only punters left in the club.
While the big boys with the big wallets were busy attracting all the attention, the mysterious man in red stole in and claimed the prize. "It was never in doubt," he whispers to the doorman.
- - -
Nag's Head roared back into action on Sunday with a 1-0 mauling of Lovett's Insurance.
'Snorter' got the winner from the penalty spot, prompting a predictably high-pitched reaction from his missus...aka Miss Piggy.
READ BARRY THE PRO EXCLUSIVELY AT FOOTBALL.CO.UK EVERY THURSDAY
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:barry the pro
- 'Bazza' lives, breathes and dies football every day of his life, before waking up the next morning to do it all over again. On the pitch his penchant for flowery flicks and tricks tends to frustrate his team-mates at Olympiacos Nag's Head FC, but all is forgiven when he shares his generous supply of male grooming products in the showers. BTP drinks lager and lime and has dedicated his life to scoring from the halfway line. Read him on Thursdays.
Previous Blog Posts
- World Cup fever brings out the chav in all of us
- The Capello Index revealed
- All football managers are bigots
- Do not board a plane with Franck Ribery
- Danny Rose may as well retire
- Typical Germans win football matches
- Who said Fabregas was a lightweight fairy
- David Moyes would have battered Mancini
- Bring on P Diddy at the Palace
- Darren Fletcher is the Scottish Zidane
- My England starting XI for the World Cup
- All hail Stoke City and their long-throw genius
- Ronaldinho could play into his 70s
- Arsene Wenger is the Fagin of football
- Professional footballers are filthy animals
- Introducing the revolutionary iRooney
- Sexy Arsenal are tiptoeing their way to the title
- Not even Gary Neville can save Liverpool now
- Beckham does exactly what it says on the tin
- Ten reasons to love Liverpool
- Englands easy route to World Cup glory
- Why Liverpool should join the SPL
- Cheat Thierry Henry is just like the rest of them
- Save the England full-back
- Why Rooney junior is the key to World Cup glory
- I thought United fans ate prawn sandwiches
- Southgate pays the penalty again
- Beckham the beard is ridiculous