Barry the Pro - Not even Gary Neville can save Liverpool now
Published: 14 Jan 2010 - 08:02:24
Oh to be an Everton fan on Merseyside this morning. You lot must be bounding around town like it was 1987 and Tony Cottee was still banging them in for fun every week.
Liverpool were already in a seriously pungent pickle. Out of the Big Cup, out of the title race, out of the Carling Cup. Oh, and about £250 million in debt. Happy days on Brookside Close.
But there was still the good old FA Cup, and the way Rafa Benitez and Co. have been talking up the competition recently, you almost started to think a trip to Wembley could save them.
Now I don't know about you lot, but me and boys had our doubts even before the mighty Reds crashed out to Reading in the third round last night. The 'magic' of the Cup is still alive, but ain't David Blaine people.
Maybe those white Armani suits would make a comeback. Maybe they'd record a rap song. Maybe Craig Johnstone would dust off his Predators.
But even if all that happened, and I seriously doubt Fernando Torres's hip-hop credentials, it doesn't seem like anything or anybody can save Liverpool from disaster now.
Not even Gary Neville. Although who wouldn't want to see that deal happen? (aside from Liverpool and United fans that is). For all you Liverpool fans thinking things can't possibly get any worse, just remember that possibility.
Rafa is doomed now. Any if Liverpool don't make the Champions League surely Stevie Gee and Fernando will be taking a long hard look at their Anfield contracts. Not that contracts mean anything these days.
After that, things will surely get better for the long-suffering Reds fans. Or will they...
"Hello is that Gary Neville...it's Kevin Keegan, the new Liverpool gaffer here..."
Meanwhile, Nag's Head FC remain unbeaten in 2010. No goals conceded, no bookings, and no touchline punch-ups between greedy strikers and fat midfielder's uncles.
Hopefully we'll finally get a game played this weekend.
READ BARRY THE PRO EXCLUSIVELY AT FOOTBALL.CO.UK EVERY THURSDAY
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:barry the pro
- 'Bazza' lives, breathes and dies football every day of his life, before waking up the next morning to do it all over again. On the pitch his penchant for flowery flicks and tricks tends to frustrate his team-mates at Olympiacos Nag's Head FC, but all is forgiven when he shares his generous supply of male grooming products in the showers. BTP drinks lager and lime and has dedicated his life to scoring from the halfway line. Read him on Thursdays.
Previous Blog Posts
- World Cup fever brings out the chav in all of us
- The Capello Index revealed
- All football managers are bigots
- Do not board a plane with Franck Ribery
- Danny Rose may as well retire
- Typical Germans win football matches
- Who said Fabregas was a lightweight fairy
- David Moyes would have battered Mancini
- Bring on P Diddy at the Palace
- Darren Fletcher is the Scottish Zidane
- My England starting XI for the World Cup
- All hail Stoke City and their long-throw genius
- Ronaldinho could play into his 70s
- Arsene Wenger is the Fagin of football
- Professional footballers are filthy animals
- Introducing the revolutionary iRooney
- Sexy Arsenal are tiptoeing their way to the title
- Not even Gary Neville can save Liverpool now
- Beckham does exactly what it says on the tin
- Ten reasons to love Liverpool
- Englands easy route to World Cup glory
- Why Liverpool should join the SPL
- Cheat Thierry Henry is just like the rest of them
- Save the England full-back
- Why Rooney junior is the key to World Cup glory
- I thought United fans ate prawn sandwiches
- Southgate pays the penalty again
- Beckham the beard is ridiculous