Barry the Pro - Ten reasons to love Liverpool
Published: 10 Dec 2009 - 07:53:16
Liverpool fans will be crying into their cornflakes this morning, thumbing through their old Panini stickerbooks and re-living the good old days when King Kenny and his boys ruled European football.
The Reds have been dumped out of the Big Cup like a nobody from Eastern Europe, and now find themselves bottom-feeding in the Europa Dope League with the likes of Everton.
What's more, their Premier League title ambitions are over for another year and the battle is on just to finish in the top four.
Hardly the stuff of playground dreams is it. Hardly the stuff to keep rival Man United fans quiet. Hardly the makings of boisterous banter at the watercoolers of Merseyside.
But all is not lost. Me and the boys were shooting the bacardi breezers last night and managed to come up with 10 reasons to love Liverpool. Despite everything. Here goes...
1. Stevie G is a Red
You've still got the best midfielder in England. And he ain't going anywhere. And he's got lego hair.
2. You're not Chelsea
Anyone can win the title with the help of a Russian oligarch. Liverpool prefer to take on a couple of American rich boys who know nothing about football. That's bold. I like bold.
3. Liverpool fans are MEGA
"Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart, and you'll NEVER walk alone..." That's unless you get a real minnow in the Europa League knock-out stages of course. Seriously though, Liverpool fans are great.
4. Jan Molby wore the shirt
Any team brave enough to employ a fat Dane in the middle of the park deserves credit. And Liverpool went the whole hog with Molby. Quality.
5. Fernando Torres is gas
He might have nicked his nickname off Sergio Garcia, but El Nino is the real deal. And judging by his loyalty to Atletico Madrid, he'll be hanging around for a while too.
6. The John Barnes rap
It's the classic pub debate. Who's the greatest rapper ever...Jay-Z, Grandmaster Flash, Eminem or Barnesy. I'll go Barnesy every time.
7. Razor Ruddock
An unlikely marriage if ever there was one. But Neil Ruddock did a job at Liverpool, and that job was scaring the living daylights out of every striker in the top flight. Brilliant.
8. The white Armani suits
David James and Co got a lot of stick for those Miami Vice Armani suits at the 1996 FA Cup final, but at least they made an effort. And I bet their mums were dead proud, like.
9. The miracle of Istanbul
I don't know about you, but in my experience being 3-0 down at half-time usually means you're heading for a seven or eight-niller. Or worse. But Liverpool had balls in 2005. Big balls.
10. Robbie Fowler is your God
He pretended to snort drugs as a goal celebration and mooned to Graeme Le Saux. "We all live in a Robbie Fowler house," goes the chant. For a God, he's an interesting choice. And bold. Did I mention I like bold.
READ BARRY THE PRO EXCLUSIVELY AT FOOTBALL.CO.UK EVERY THURSDAY
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:barry the pro
- 'Bazza' lives, breathes and dies football every day of his life, before waking up the next morning to do it all over again. On the pitch his penchant for flowery flicks and tricks tends to frustrate his team-mates at Olympiacos Nag's Head FC, but all is forgiven when he shares his generous supply of male grooming products in the showers. BTP drinks lager and lime and has dedicated his life to scoring from the halfway line. Read him on Thursdays.
Previous Blog Posts
- World Cup fever brings out the chav in all of us
- The Capello Index revealed
- All football managers are bigots
- Do not board a plane with Franck Ribery
- Danny Rose may as well retire
- Typical Germans win football matches
- Who said Fabregas was a lightweight fairy
- David Moyes would have battered Mancini
- Bring on P Diddy at the Palace
- Darren Fletcher is the Scottish Zidane
- My England starting XI for the World Cup
- All hail Stoke City and their long-throw genius
- Ronaldinho could play into his 70s
- Arsene Wenger is the Fagin of football
- Professional footballers are filthy animals
- Introducing the revolutionary iRooney
- Sexy Arsenal are tiptoeing their way to the title
- Not even Gary Neville can save Liverpool now
- Beckham does exactly what it says on the tin
- Ten reasons to love Liverpool
- Englands easy route to World Cup glory
- Why Liverpool should join the SPL
- Cheat Thierry Henry is just like the rest of them
- Save the England full-back
- Why Rooney junior is the key to World Cup glory
- I thought United fans ate prawn sandwiches
- Southgate pays the penalty again
- Beckham the beard is ridiculous