Barry the Pro - Why Liverpool should join the SPL
Published: 26 Nov 2009 - 08:47:29
There's been a lot of silly talk about Celtic and Rangers heading south to join the Premier League recently, but me and the boys had a relevation yesterday. How about sending Liverpool in the opposite direction?
Granted, we'd all been on the football juice down the Nag's Head, but when you think about it, it makes perfect sense.
First of all, Liverpool fans are desperate for a league title. The last time they did it in England, they had Barry Venison at the back, Jan Molby in midfield and Kenny Dalglish up top.
If that doesn't mean a lot to you, try this. The number one singles that season included 'Hangin Tough' by New Kids on the Block and 'Vogue' by Madonna. Still struggling? Accrington Stanley? Exactly.
Twenty years have passed through the Anfield tunnel since, with most of them spent watching their arch rivals Moneychester United fill their cabinet with shiny trophies.
But with one simple move north, the Reds would be pretty much guaranteed an immediate return. Titles would flow like Irn Bru and Rafa Benitez could become a hero again. The whining on Merseyside would finally stop.
What's more, Liverpool would never have to worry about getting into the Champions League again. And when they got there, they could afford to rest Stevie G and Torres against everyone bar Rangers and Celtic in the league, and simply save them for the Big Cup.
Also, there's always been a special relationship between Liverpool and Celtic, so why not have the two playing each other four times a season? Now there's a football love-in to make the game a better place.
Am I crazy, or is this the only way forward?
Before I go, I should tell you we won 7-3 on Sunday. It was liquid football. Actually, it was more like gas. 'Leper' Johnson got three headers from left midfield and won man of the match.
They call him leper because he doesn't have a left foot...or a right foot...or a brain.
READ BARRY THE PRO EXCLUSIVELY AT FOOTBALL.CO.UK EVERY THURSDAY
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:barry the pro
- 'Bazza' lives, breathes and dies football every day of his life, before waking up the next morning to do it all over again. On the pitch his penchant for flowery flicks and tricks tends to frustrate his team-mates at Olympiacos Nag's Head FC, but all is forgiven when he shares his generous supply of male grooming products in the showers. BTP drinks lager and lime and has dedicated his life to scoring from the halfway line. Read him on Thursdays.
Previous Blog Posts
- World Cup fever brings out the chav in all of us
- The Capello Index revealed
- All football managers are bigots
- Do not board a plane with Franck Ribery
- Danny Rose may as well retire
- Typical Germans win football matches
- Who said Fabregas was a lightweight fairy
- David Moyes would have battered Mancini
- Bring on P Diddy at the Palace
- Darren Fletcher is the Scottish Zidane
- My England starting XI for the World Cup
- All hail Stoke City and their long-throw genius
- Ronaldinho could play into his 70s
- Arsene Wenger is the Fagin of football
- Professional footballers are filthy animals
- Introducing the revolutionary iRooney
- Sexy Arsenal are tiptoeing their way to the title
- Not even Gary Neville can save Liverpool now
- Beckham does exactly what it says on the tin
- Ten reasons to love Liverpool
- Englands easy route to World Cup glory
- Why Liverpool should join the SPL
- Cheat Thierry Henry is just like the rest of them
- Save the England full-back
- Why Rooney junior is the key to World Cup glory
- I thought United fans ate prawn sandwiches
- Southgate pays the penalty again
- Beckham the beard is ridiculous