Barry the Pro - Cheat Thierry Henry is just like the rest of them
Published: 19 Nov 2009 - 07:32:41
There's always been an air of class about Thierry Henry. On and off the pitch he's a polished knob and you can bet your life he smells wonderful up close. All the time.
In his time at Arsenal, Henry won English hearts and had the Gunners' fans fainting with excitement every time he touched the ball. How they loved those curling finishes and his blinding pace down the flanks. Quality Street.
- France 1-1 Ireland: Match report
- France 1-1 Ireland: As it happened
Henry made Arsenal sexy. Suddenly the most boring team in football were beating teams 6-0 and their supporters went from cavemen to footballing intellectuals overnight.
Nick Hornby's 'Fever Pitch' started it, but it was old Terry Henry who stuck it in the onion bag. Arsenal were officially the coolest and cleverest band in the land - and their French maestro was their lead singer.
Henry was a revolution in the English game. Eloquent in every way, and blessed with the kind of chemistry that makes men want to be you, and women want to be with you. Everything told you to hate him. But you couldn't. What a *******!
All of which brings me to his outrageous act of cheating against the Republic of Ireland last night - an act that broke the hearts of the nation and sent the lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky French to the World Cup next summer.
It was the kind of thing we've grown to expect from the Cristiano Ronaldos and Eduardos of this world, but me and the boys had hoped for better from King Thierry.
It could have been his defining moment. Had he gone straight to ref and admitted his crime Thierry Henry would have gone to football heaven. The Irish would have erected a statue in his honour and he could have joined Bono, The Corrs and Jack Charlton in the 'never need to pay for a drink ever again' club.
Let's be honest, the French would have won on penalties anyway, so it's not like he would have sacrificed anything.
But no, Henry chose instead to carry off his blatant act of fraud and suffer the consequences. In one moment, he proved he wasn't that special after all. He was just like the rest of them.
Me and the boys were proper livid. And there was no amount of 'consoling' that Henry could do to make things better.
The real hero last night was Richard Dunne, who had to suffer Henry sitting on the turf next to him after the game, playing the Freddie Flintoff card.
Dunne should have sent him sparko.
READ BARRY THE PRO EXCLUSIVELY AT FOOTBALL.CO.UK EVERY THURSDAY
- FOOTBALL.CO.UK BLOGGER:barry the pro
- 'Bazza' lives, breathes and dies football every day of his life, before waking up the next morning to do it all over again. On the pitch his penchant for flowery flicks and tricks tends to frustrate his team-mates at Olympiacos Nag's Head FC, but all is forgiven when he shares his generous supply of male grooming products in the showers. BTP drinks lager and lime and has dedicated his life to scoring from the halfway line. Read him on Thursdays.
Previous Blog Posts
- World Cup fever brings out the chav in all of us
- The Capello Index revealed
- All football managers are bigots
- Do not board a plane with Franck Ribery
- Danny Rose may as well retire
- Typical Germans win football matches
- Who said Fabregas was a lightweight fairy
- David Moyes would have battered Mancini
- Bring on P Diddy at the Palace
- Darren Fletcher is the Scottish Zidane
- My England starting XI for the World Cup
- All hail Stoke City and their long-throw genius
- Ronaldinho could play into his 70s
- Arsene Wenger is the Fagin of football
- Professional footballers are filthy animals
- Introducing the revolutionary iRooney
- Sexy Arsenal are tiptoeing their way to the title
- Not even Gary Neville can save Liverpool now
- Beckham does exactly what it says on the tin
- Ten reasons to love Liverpool
- Englands easy route to World Cup glory
- Why Liverpool should join the SPL
- Cheat Thierry Henry is just like the rest of them
- Save the England full-back
- Why Rooney junior is the key to World Cup glory
- I thought United fans ate prawn sandwiches
- Southgate pays the penalty again
- Beckham the beard is ridiculous