Latics don't like to be beside seaside

26 August 2009 10:32
Martinez shook things up following successive Premier League defeats by Wolves and Manchester United but his fringe players failed to deliver.[LNB]Blackpool never looked back after taking the lead after three minutes through Ishmel Demontagnac.[LNB]They were 3-0 ahead at half-time with Ben Burgess and Charlie Adam also on target. Substitute Gary Taylor-Fletcher grabbed a fourth in the second period.[LNB]Martinez made nine changes to his side but Demontagnac made the breakthrough when he thumped a shot beyond goalkeeper Mike Pollitt from the edge of the box.[LNB]It was Demontagnac's first goal for Blackpool since he arrived at Bloomfield Road eager to get his career back on track.[LNB]The 21-year-old was sacked by Walsall last November after a series of misdemeanours which infuriated club officials.[LNB]This was his first start for the club after three substitute appearances. He was called up after playing for the reserves on Monday.[LNB]Blackpool extended their lead in the 19th minute with Pollitt looking at fault.[LNB]He was slow to react as Burgess drilled in a shot from the edge of the area that did not have much power.[LNB]Pollitt, though, allowed the ball to drift past him into the corner, leaving Wigan with an uphill task.[LNB]Blackpool were looking comfortable and Stephen Crainey tested Pollitt in the 29th minute with an inswinging free-kick.[LNB]Wigan responded and Scott Sinclair saw his shot beaten away by goalkeeper Matt Gilks.[LNB]It was a brief respite for the Premier League side as Demontagnac unleashed another thunderbolt that Pollitt did well to block.[LNB]Blackpool then made it 3-0 in the 33rd minute with Wigan all at sea at the back.[LNB]Paul Scharner conceded a penalty after flooring Billy Clarke as he homed in on goal.[LNB]Charlie Adam stepped up and although Pollitt got a hand to his effort, he was unable to prevent him scoring from the rebound.[LNB]Wigan almost pulled a goal back in the 48th minute when Scott Sinclair's free-kick evaded the wall only for Gilks to make a superb block.[LNB]Gilks again reacted quickly moments later to push away Ben Watson's effort before Blackpool made it 4-0 in the 66th minute with a marvellous strike from Taylor-Fletcher.[LNB]There seemed little on when he picked the ball up but he weaved his way into the area before finding the corner.[LNB]Ormerod almost added a fifth goal in the 84th minute only for Pollitt to take the ball off his feet as Blackpool secured their place in the third round with ease.[LNB]Wigan grabbed a consolation goal in stoppage time when Antonio Amaya marked his debut by heading in Ben Watson's corner.[LNB][LNB]

Source: Team_Talk