skip to content

Appleton absent from Blackpool training after Blackburn approach

More

10 Jan 2013 16:47:15

Appleton absent from Blackpool training after Blackburn approach

Blackpool manager Michael Appleton did not take training on Thursday in the wake of an official approach for his services from npower Championship counterparts Blackburn.

Rovers posted a statement on their official website, www.rovers.co.uk, on Wednesday night confirming their interest in the 37-year-old former Portsmouth boss, with a Blackpool acknowledging a "formal approach" in a statement of their own shortly afterwards.

Amid reports Blackburn's bid to appoint Appleton as Henning Berg's successor had received the short shrift, Ewood Park managing director Derek Shaw on Thursday morning told Press Association Sport the clubs remained "in discussions".

On Thursday afternoon Blackpool declined to add any official comment to Wednesday night's statement, but England Under-21 winger Tom Ince confirmed to BBC Radio Lancashire that assistant manager Steve Thompson took training ahead of the weekend trip to Charlton.

Appleton's scheduled 12:30pm press briefing was cancelled and, after confirming his manager's absence, Ince said: "It's been like any normal day. We can't worry about things that are out of the players' control. As players, we stick together. There's a great bunch of lads in there and all we're doing is looking forward to Saturday.

"Whoever's our manager is whoever's our manager. We can't worry about what's happening off the pitch. We have to worry about working hard in training, going to Charlton and getting a win."

Meanwhile, Blackburn caretaker manager Gary Bowyer insisted himself and head of youth Terry McPhillips will be in charge of first-team affairs for Friday night's televised clash against Wolves at Molineux.

Bowyer has led Rovers to three consecutive victories following the abrupt end to Berg's 10-game tenure two days after Christmas and last week the club issued a statement to confirm he and McPhillips would remain in charge until the end of January. Nevertheless, the 41-year-old former Rotherham defender is fully understanding of the situation.

"As we stand we expect to be taking the team at Wolves," he said. "As far as we're aware we were told we had it until the end of January but, like I stressed last week when that announcement was made, we understand that anything can happen in that month.

"Until we're told otherwise we'll continue to do what we've done and that's prepare the players for the game tomorrow. I was notified last night and told that the official approach had been made, like I have been with everything that's gone on in our time here.''


Sponsored links

Facebook comments