- Blackburn Rovers News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Championship News
Scudamore: 'No regrets' about Rovers
Published : 09 May 2012 20:17:12Rss feed
Chief executive Richard Scudamore says the Premier League have no regrets about the Blackburn ownership issue.
Widespread reports on Wednesday suggested Rovers deputy chief executive Paul Hunt had been sacked, with manager Steve Kean unable to confirm or deny whether that was the case. Kean did say that owners Venky's are staying long term, despite Rovers fans angrily criticising the owners for their part in the club's relegation from the top flight.
However, Scudamore told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We don't sit here regretting that the owners bought the club. What you do regret for them and the Blackburn fans are the performances of the team that led to them being relegated. But people can't possibly expect us to sit in London running clubs."
Scudamore added: "We put a framework in place for owners to run clubs and they passed all the financial rules.
"The decisions they made were for them to make. It's harsh but that's the ultimate reality.
"I think there's very little danger that Blackburn as a club will be threatened, but the idea I can give the fans any comfort regarding the future success of the club is out of the question."
However, Scudamore urged Blackburn fans to look to Newcastle for hope.
He said: "Mike Ashley made unpopular decisions but they are on the brink of qualification for European football."
Scudamore also revealed goalline technology is unlikely to feature in the Premier League until the 2013-14 season.
He told Sky Sports News: "It's imminent and we'll look to put it in front of our clubs as soon as we practically can. But it's unlikely to be implemented for next season. Perhaps the season after is within the timeframe to do it properly."
Related Blackburn Rovers News