- Blackburn Rovers News
- League Table
- News Archive
- Championship News
Ince: Santa Cruz is staying
15 Aug 2008 - 14:02:19
Manager Paul Ince insists Roque Santa Cruz is happy at Blackburn Rovers and staying at Ewood Park after they rejected a bid for his services from Manchester City.
Santa Cruz, 26, was the subject of a bid believed to have been in the region of £12million from the Citizens on Thursday evening.
Former Rovers and now City boss Mark Hughes was hoping to lure last season's 23-goal top-scorer to Eastlands.
However, Rovers officials immediately rejected the approach and Ince is adamant that the Paraguay striker will be staying at Ewood Park.
Ince has also warned Newcastle United off making a fresh bid for England defender Stephen Warnock.
"I've sat down with Roque and we've had a chat and the lad is happy to stay at Blackburn Rovers," he revealed.
"Roque and Steve are definitely two players that I don't want to sell and they definitely won't be sold."
Meanwhile, Ince has confirmed that he is close to agreeing terms with veteran striker Robbie Fowler.
The 33-year-old former Liverpool and England striker has been training with Rovers after opting to leave Cardiff City earlier in the summer.
"I think we are close to doing something with Robbie," he told the club's official website.
"I've said all along that he has to get his fitness and sharpness, and we are now seeing good signs of that. In the last three or four days in training he's been absolutely different class.
"I'll sit down with the chairman now and discuss where we are going to go from here."