skip to content

Rummenigge rules out quick Gomez transfer

More

Updated 24 Jun 2013 12:48:22

Rummenigge rules out quick Gomez transfer

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge on Monday ruled out any imminent transfer to either Italy or Spain for disgruntled Germany striker Mario Gomez.

Gomez, 27, is under contract until 2016 but spent most of last season on the bench behind first-choice striker Mario Mandzukic as Bayern won the treble of European, cup and league titles.

Both Italy's Juventus and Fiorentina had been reported to be interested in Gomez, as well as Spain's Atletico Madrid, according to the German media, but Rummenigge dismissed the rumours.

"Mario Gomez will resume training on Wednesday with us. To date there has been no official request, especially from Italy," he said at the press conference as Pep Guardiola was unveiled as the new Bayern head coach.

Ex-Barcelona boss Guardiola has said Gomez has the same chance as the rest of the Bayern squad to make his mark with the new Bundesliga season to start on August 9.

Guardiola said it was too early to talk of making changes in the Bayern team and ruled out any signings from his former club, where he won 14 titles in four years at the Camp Nou.

New signing Mario Goetze is also on course to return to training next month after tearing his hamstring in April having signed from Borussia Dortmund for 37 million euros ($48.3 million, £31.4 million).

"Mario looks good again and the hamstring feels better," Rummenigge told German Sky Sports.


AFP

Sponsored links

Facebook comments