Klose rescues ailing Bayern

19 October 2008 12:12
Bayern Munich returned to winning ways with a narrow 1-0 success at Karlsruhe, a result that eased the pressure on Jurgen Klinsmann. Miroslav Klose scored the crucial goal in the 87th minute as Bayern secured only their third victory of the campaign. Hoffenheim are top after scoring four times in the last 19 minutes to beat Hannover 5-2. Vedad Ibisevic put Hoffenheim in front after 36 minutes but goals either side of the break by Christian Schulz and substitute Jiri Stajner put Hannover in charge. However, Chinedu Obasi equalised in the 71st minute and Hoffenheim eventually ran out comfortable winners thanks to further goals by Sejad Salihovic, Demba Ba and Ibisevic. Bayer Leverkusen are third place after winning 2-0 at Eintracht Frankfurt. Patrick Helmes gave Leverkusen the lead from the penalty spot after six minutes and Arturo Vidal added a second goal just after the hour mark. Werder Bremen and Borussia Dortmund shared six second-half goals at the Weserstadion. Alexander Frei opened the scoring for Dortmund from the penalty spot after 59 minutes. Frank Baumann levelled for the hosts eight minutes later only for Mats Hummels to restore Dortmund's lead after 72 minutes. Bremen looked set to win the match when Claudio Pizarro netted with only two minutes left but there was still time for Mohamed Zidan to snatch a last-gasp equaliser for Dortmund. Hertha Berlin are fourth after coming from behind to beat Stuttgart 2-1. Jeronimo Baretto Cacau scored a 51st-minute goal for Hertha after Maximilian Nicu had given Stuttgart a first-half lead and Gojko Kacar scored an 88th-minute winner for the side from the capital. Wolfsburg easily beat Arminia Bielefeld 4-1 thanks largely to a first-half brace by Zvjezdan Misimovic which put them in control of the game. Alexander Madlung made it 3-0 after 54 minutes and, although Alexander Laas pulled one back for Arminia after an hour, Grafite restored the Wolves' three-goal lead. Cologne defeated Energie Cottbus 1-0 thanks to Milivoje Novakovic's 39th-minute goal. Struggling Energie were forced to play for more than an hour with ten men after Mitreski had been dismissed.

Source: ESA