Honours even in Oakwell shutout

19 September 2009 05:31
Robins masterminded Barnsley's first victory of the season at Derby on Tuesday night in only his second game since replacing Simon Davey at the helm, but there was no repeat performance as Swansea dominated at Oakwell. The Welsh side produced some flowing football but once again a lack of cutting edge denied them all three points as they failed to score for the third consecutive game. Dutch forward Cedric van der Gun and former Southampton winger Nathan Dyer missed the most clear-cut chances in the second half as the Tykes dug in for their first home point of the season. Paulo Sousa's side dominated the first half with their attractive brand of passing football and had they been more ruthless in the final third they could have been out of sight by half-time. Spanish playmaker Andrea Orlandi and the diminutive Leon Britton were pulling the strings in midfield. Orlandi played in compatriot Gorka Pintado with a lovely reverse pass after 13 minutes but the striker was denied by Tykes goalkeeper David Preece. There was a worrying moment for Barnsley two minutes later when Iain Hume suffered a nasty cut to his face after an accidental clash with Ashley Williams, but the striker returned after being stitched up. Barnsley finally asked a few questions of the Swansea defence and it took a superb saving tackle from skipper Garry Monk to deny Andy Gray as he prepared to pull the trigger. But the Tykes were struggling to cope with Swansea's passing and movement and had Mark Gower managed to provide a finish in the 11th minute it would have been a contender for goal of the season after a brilliant move. Darren Moore almost gave Barnsley an undeserved lead when his header looped over stranded Swans keeper Dorus De Vries but narrowly wide of the target. Van der Gun came close for the visitors just before the break and Orlandi's corner was flicked on at the near post but flashed across the face of goal. The Welsh side continued where they left off after the break and Dyer should have scored two minutes into the second half when he danced around two men in the penalty area and Preece parried his shot into the path of Van der Gun, who somehow failed to provide the finish. Hume should have ended his long wait for a goal but the Canadian frontman fired over after racing clear of the City defence. Craig Beattie should then have won it for the visitors right at the death but he fired wide from 16 yards out.

Source: Team_Talk