skip to content

Hill Hoping To Strike McGold

31 Oct 2012 19:59:45

Hill Hoping To Strike McGold

Forest striker in manager's sights.

Barnsley are lining up a transfer window swoop for Nottingham Forest striker David McGoldrick in a bid to boost their failing attack.

The 24 year old is currently in fine form at League One Coventry, where he has scored eight goals in 14 apperances under former Reds boss Mark Robins, including six in his last six.

The former Sheffield Wednesday forward is due to remain at the Ricoh Arena until the 2nd January, but then will return to the City Ground where he is out of favour as Forest already have seven strikers.

McGoldrick started his career at Notts County before spells at Southampton, Bournemouth and Port Vale. He joined Forest for £1m in 2009, but was then shipped off to Hillsborough in 2011 where he netted once in four games.

It is believed Forest boss Sean O’Driscoll will sell for a fee in the region of £500,000.

Meanwhile Reds boss Keith Hill is looking to secure new contracts for the players he already has at his disposal.

The Reds saw their season implode last year after losing Danny Drinkwater and Ricardo Vaz Te to rival clubs, and then club captain Jacob Butterfield to injury. Luke Steele, Scott Wiseman, Tomasz Cywka, Jim McNulty and leading scorer Craig Davies all see their deals expire in the summer and Hill is keen to secure their futures at Oakwell.

He told SKY Sports:

"There's been no progress yet. I've made my recommendations to the board and it's out of my hands at this moment in time.

"We've just got to progressively keep nudging and keep trying to secure the services of these players because I don't want to be in a position where I'm trying to build a team for the second half of the season as a result of losing players in January.

"The ramifications of what happened last season could quite easily have been relegation. But you've got to accept it. Players are commodities, in their own minds, in their own rights as well, and you've got to make hay while the sun shines.

"When players are in good form there is the possibility that those players will wait and see what happens as well. You try and plan to avoid significant damage being done and that's what we do, we did a lot of foundation work last season, a lot of it not seen and we feel as though we're in a good position to build for the future of Barnsley Football Club and we just don't want to see it destroyed."

The Reds gaffer has also again spoken out on his own future with regards to the speculation of a takeover at the club.

He said:

"We've just got to take care of business because my future will be decided really by results, not by the infrastructure that we've put in place, not by the development of the players, or whether somebody takes over or not.

"If somebody takes over and they decide that they don't want me to be their manager, trust me, our plan and the infrastructure we put in place at this football club is transferable to another club.

"So with respect to my own future, I've got no real worries. I want to be successful at Barnsley and I want to see fruition with respect to the foundation work we've put in, especially with the younger players and the redevelopment of the players who have may be lost their way in the footballing world. We want to see the fruits of our labour at Barnsley for the sake of the supporters of this club."

Source: TykesMAD


FOOTYMAD

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Barnsley News

advertisement

advertisment