Barnsley 0-1 Wolverhampton: Match Report

31 January 2017 10:34

Wolves build on FA Cup upset to secure away win at Barnsley

Wolves proved there was no FA Cup hangover following their recent exploits at Liverpool as they won 3-1 at 10-man Barnsley.

David Edwards scored twice and Kortney Hause was also on target, with Marc Roberts grabbing a consolation for the Reds.

Paul Lambert's outfit shocked the Premier League giants at Anfield on Saturday and a much-changed side turned on the style at Oakwell, inflicting Barnsley's first home league defeat since November.

Alex Mowatt, a recent arrival from Leeds, endured a nightmare debut for the hosts as he was sent off for a two-footed lunge on Jack Price five minutes before the break.

His boss Paul Heckingbottom was also sent to the stands in a feisty encounter.

The visitors made the perfect start, taking the lead inside five minutes.

Connor Ronan's free-kick was headed behind for a corner and from his set-piece, Edwards flicked a header goalwards and there was Hause on the line to smash the ball into the net.

Wolves nearly made it 2-0 from another Ronan corner, with Edwards' effort being deflected over the bar.

Then it was Barnsley's turn to go close, with Marley Watkins heading Mowatt's corner kick just over. The big striker then fed Mowatt as he burst into the box, but his first-time shot was charged down by goalkeeper Harry Burgoyne.

Wolves almost doubled their advantage when good work from Bright Enobakhare set up Ronan, whose 20-yard drive clipped the edge of Adam Davies' left-hand upright.

It had been a niggly first half, with referee Christopher Kavanagh blowing up for numerous free-kicks. From another Ronan set-piece, following a cynical foul by Angus MacDonald on Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, Wolves made it 2-0 as Edwards' shot was deflected past the despairing dive of Davies.

It went from bad to worse for Barnsley as Mowatt was dismissed for a crude foul on Price late in the first half, before confusion reigned on the stroke of half-time.

Referee Kavanagh awarded Wolves a penalty following a foul on Enobakhare in the box, but he changed his mind after a discussion with one of his assistants and awarded Barnsley a free-kick. Chants of "you don't know what you're doing" rung around Oakwell.

Barnsley carved out a rare opportunity after an hour, with Ryan Williams heading Adam Hammill's cross just wide, before Heckingbottom was sent to the stands after an ugly scuffle with the Wolves dugout.

The home boss had to be restrained by his coaching staff after words were exchanged between the two benches.

Wolves scored their third on the counter-attack. Enobakhare raced forward and threaded a through ball for Bodvarsson. His shot was palmed out by Davies to Edwards, who hammered the ball into the net.

Barnsley responded immediately. Hammill was brought down on the edge of the Wolves box and when his free-kick was parried by Burgoyne, Roberts was on hand to slam the ball in, but that was as good as it got for the hosts.

Source: PA