Barnsley 0-0 Wigan: Match Report

20 November 2016 04:34

Barnsley and Wigan play out goalless draw

Wigan produced a solid defensive display away from home, earning a 0-0 with Barnsley at Oakwell.

The draw gives Warren Joyce his first point since he took charge of the Latics but also saw them fall further into the relegation zone.

It was the Tykes' third consecutive draw and for the second game in a row, they failed to score, even though they arguably had better opportunities to seal all three points.

It was the visitors who created the first chance of the game, David Perkins received the ball from Nick Powell inside the area but his low shot was comfortably saved by Adam Davies.

Barnsley's Adam Armstrong tested the Wigan back four early on, when he ran in behind, but his shot was weak and didn't trouble Adam Bogdan.

Sam Winnall then came within inches of taking the lead with his header, after Andy Yiadom found him with a superb cross.

The hosts continued to get forward, with Marley Watkins forcing Bogdan into action at his near post.

Powell appeared to limp off with an injury and was replaced by Luke Garbutt in the 31st minute.

Wigan nearly lost another man but referee Jeremy Simpson only gave Shaun MacDonald a yellow card for a high and late tackle on Josh Scowen.

Just before half-time, Conor Hourihane's shot from the edge of the box was headed into the back of the net by Armstrong, but the flag was up and the goal was ruled out for offside.

The Tykes started the second half positively, with Armstrong seeing his effort deflected for a corner and full-back James Bree blasting his shot over the bar.

Wigan's bad luck continued when Bogdan was carried off on a stretcher, with around half an hour to go. Veteran goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen came on to replace him.

Ryan Kent went closest to breaking the deadlock, when he cut inside and curled the ball just over the top right corner.

Yanic Wildschut spoiled a great chance for Wigan when, with only Adam Davies in front of him, he took on the shot from the edge of the area but scuffed it and Davies collected the ball easily.

Barnsley kept creating chances, Armstrong headed over from Winnall's cross and captain Hourihane skied a central free-kick.

Deep into injury time, second-half substitute Adam Hammill saw his shot blocked by a flying Perkins, Hourihane then picked up the rebound but Jaaskelainen was alert and caught the shot easily.

Barnsley still threatened to score, getting the ball forward a late on, but Wigan held them off, with an impressive defensive display.

Source: PA