Hereford 1-0 Barnet: Report

22 October 2011 06:01

Bulls bounce out of bottom two

Hereford climbed out of the bottom two in npower League Two for the first time this season with a close fought 1-0 victory over fellow strugglers Barnet.

Striker Nathan Elder broke the deadlock in the 66th minute when he headed home his first goal for the Bulls.

Hereford were quickly on the offensive when Harry Pell headed against the crossbar from a cross by Joe Heath in the second minute.

Midfielders Tom Barkuizen and Steve Leslie kept Barnet on the back foot as Hereford pushed forward.

Barnett, however, went close to breaking the deadlock in the 17th minute when a powerful 20 yard shot from Mark Holmes was tipped over the crossbar by David Cornell.

Goalkeeper Cornell also saved from Mark Hughes and Izale McLeod as the Bees stepped up a gear.

Barnet continued to stretch the Hereford defence but Jordan Parkes swept in a long range shot forcing Cornell to claw the ball out of the air.

But back at the other end goalkeeper Liam O'Brien made a fine save when he tipped a 30-yard free kick from midfielder Leslie over the bar.

Leslie was also denied in the 36th minute when Gary Borrowdale blocked his shot in front of the goalmouth.

Five minutes into the second period, O'Brien saved the game with another free kick by Leslie at the foot of the post as Hereford piled on the pressure.

O'Brien kept the Bulls at bay with further saves from Leslie and Richard Featherstone before Hereford broke the deadlock.

Featherstone swept in a corner from the left to Elder who headed past O'Brien from close range.

One minute later, only a block from Hereford skipper Stefen Stam stopped Darren Dennehay equalising for Barnet.

Ricky Holmes also rifled the ball against the home crossbar, but Hereford held firm.

Hereford 1-0 Barnet: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statictics of the game as it happened.

Source: DSG

World Cup Group G

Pos Team Pld Pts
- Belgium 0 0
- Panama 0 0
- Tunisia 0 0
- England 0 0