Majo dismisses Ramos move

19 June 2015 02:47

Barcelona presidential candidate Jordi Majo has revealed he has been offered the opportunity to sign Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos to boost his election campaign.

Majo is one of five people in the running to replace Josep Maria Bartomeu, who is standing for re-election.

Bartomeu and former president Joan Laporta are considered the main candidates to win the election that will be held on July 18 at the Nou Camp.

"Ramos has been offered to us for some time as an electoral opportunity," Majo said to the Spanish press on Friday. "We don't know if he has been offered to others (other candidates).

"But we are not going to play that game.

"We are not going to be the reason for Sergio Ramos and his brother to increase his value at Real Madrid.

"In our case, we totally discarded it."

Majo did clarify that the offer did not come from the player's brother, Rene Ramos, who is also his agent.

"We haven't had contact with Rene but with an intermediary, who made the proposal," he said.

Ramos, who is a reported target of Manchester United, is currently in Cuba working as a goodwill ambassador for Unicef.

Earlier this month, Ramos' agent admitted that Real have not offered the 29-year-old defender a new deal to extend his stay past the summer of 2017, when his contract expires.

Ramos scored four goals in 27 league appearances to help Real finished runners-up in La Liga behind Barca.

The Spain international also started in eight Champions League games for Los Blancos, who reached the semi-final stages before losing to Juventus.

Ramos joined Real in the summer of 2005 on a 27million euros transfer deal.

Source: PA


Trending on the forum