West Ham striker Teddy Sheringham has dismissed recent press reports suggesting that he had been a target for Aston Villa earlier this season.
The 40-year-old had reportedly pondered an exit after struggling for a first-team spot at Upton Park, but Sheringham now insists that at no time was he a target for Villa.
He told the Hammers' official club website: "I was having a conversation with a reporter after the game on Sunday and was asked about the possibility of signing a new contract at the club.
"I jokingly remarked that, had he asked me that a few weeks ago when I was left out of the squad of 16 for our match against Aston Villa, then I would probably have told him that I was considering retirement.
"It was just another way of saying that you never know what is around the corner in football, but at no point did I ever mention the possibility of Aston Villa being interested in signing me.
"How they have turned those comments into such a story is beyond me, and I would just like to make it clear that the whole thing is complete rubbish."