- AS Roma News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Italian Serie A News
Roma confirm Enrique departure
Published : 11 May 2012 17:47:01Rss feed
Luis Enrique is leaving AS Roma after just one season in charge, the club's general director Franco Baldini confirmed on Friday.
Media reports Thursday had said the former Barcelona star would be leaving after generally failing to graft on Barca-style tactics to the Serie A outfit, who have missed out on European qualification after finishing outside the top six.
"Luis Enrique wanted first to announce his departure to the team," Baldini told Sky Sports television, while insisting that he had done some "good" work.
"The project did not fail," Baldini insisted, while admitting that Enrique was exhausted.
Although Enrique had publicly said he wanted to see out his two-year contract and even stay longer, he has come in for a hail of criticism from demanding local media.
A successor has yet to be announced, although Baldini said "we have already studied many names".
The media make Catania's Vincenzo Montella, who took charge of Roma between February and May last year, as well as Andre Villas-Boas, sacked in February by Chelsea, the favourites for the job.
Related AS Roma News