Roma coach Enrique to take year off
Luis Enrique will take a year off to recover from his first season as a head coach when he leaves Roma following Sunday's match against Cesena.
Enrique had already announced his decision to leave the Romans earlier in the week after a difficult season, more so for the reaction from the local press than troubles on the pitch.
But now he says the experience, his first as a first team coach following three years coaching Barcelona B, has just been too much for him.
"I'm going because I'm tired, I've always given 110 percent but I don't think I'm able to recover my strength before the beginning of next season," said Enrique.
"That's also why I know I won't coach anywhere else. I need to recover after this difficult but beautiful experience.
"I've used up all my energy to try to get results and I'm sorry that we didn't manage to get third place."
Although he has faced a lot of criticism this season from the press, Enrique does not believe it has been a failure.
"The team has improved a lot, the lads were committed and I have always defended them," he said.
"Although it is right to judge a coach on results I prefer one season with this intensity rather than three with less."
Related AS Roma News