Wenger denies Woody talk

28 January 2008 02:28
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has dismissed reports linking him with an approach for Middlesbrough and England centre-back Jonathan Woodgate. The 28-year-old is a target for both Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur, with Magpies boss Kevin Keegan admitting that Woodgate is poised to head to the capital. However, rumours on Monday morning suggested that the Gunners may have entered the bidding for Woodgate's services. An adamant Wenger told the club's official website: "I do not know where that story came from. "There is no truth in it at all. We have never been in touch with Middlesbrough about Jonathan Woodgate." Boro chief executive, Keith Lamb, had earlier commented: "We have agreed a fee with Tottenham and as far as I am aware Jonathan went down at the weekend to have a medical. "Basically we have given him the choice. We told him we have agreed a fee with Newcastle and Spurs and with another club. "We told him that he could go or stay and have left the final decision with him."

Source: ESA