- Arsenal News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Cesc to sign sooner or later - Xavi
Published : 10 Jun 2010 21:20:00
Xavi says Spain team-mate Cesc Fabregas will join him at Barcelona at some point - and hopes a deal will be finalised sooner rather than later. Xavi and Fabregas are two valuable members of Spain's squad for the World Cup, but the pair have never played together at club level despite both coming through the youth system at Barca. "He (Fabregas) wants to come here and is talking to the club about that," Xavi said. "I have always said that he has the Barca DNA and he should be confident there will be a solution soon. "He should play for Barca and it has to be now. "If it's not now, it will be a little later, but I hope Cesc can come to Barcelona as soon as possible. "He is hopeful and he wants to come to Barca, but he is calm and focused on the World Cup, hoping there will be a solution." Barcelona presidential candidate Marc Ingla has revealed he dreams of unveiling Fabregas as his first new signing if he wins Sunday's election. The club's former marketing vice-president is a big admirer of the 23-year-old Spain midfielder, but insists Barca will not pay over the odds. "Cesc is a marvel, as is (David) Villa," he told Sport in a digital interview with readers of the newspaper's online version. "My only worry is paying over the odds but I confess that my dream, as president, would be to unveil Cesc." With the likes of Spain internationals Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Sergio Busquets already at the club, Barca already possess a wealth of talent in midfield, but Ingla reckons Fabregas has what it takes to become a regular starter at the Nou Camp. "If he comes, I am convinced that Cesc will soon become the number one choice in his position," he said. The 44-year-old has also promised the Catalans will not be held to ransom by Arsenal. "Anything between 25 and 35 million euros would seem suitable," he said. On the possible departures of striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Yaya Toure, Ingla said he would trust the judgment of Barca's coaching staff. "Whatever the coaches decide will be fine by me," he said. "We won't interfere in technical issues - that's down to (coach) Pep (Guardiola) and (sporting director) Txiki (Begiristain)." Xavi signed a contract extension on Wednesday which is likely to see the Catalan midfielder finish his career at Barcelona. The 30-year-old has already won the Primera Division five times and the Champions League on two occasions with Barca, as well as a string of other titles. The Catalans have been the dominant force in Spain in recent years, but that could change soon following Real Madrid's appointment of Jose Mourinho. Xavi, though, claims he welcomes the challenge of coming up against the Portuguese coach. "It's an extra motivation," he said. "Madrid are doing everything possible to win titles again and for us it's an added motivation. "Last year they put together a great team and we were able to beat that team. "Now, with that great coach, we will try to beat them again."