skip to content

Carlos Tevez: Corinthians end interest in Manchester City striker

07 Oct 2011 13:21:14

Carlos Tevez: Corinthians end interest in Manchester City striker

Corinthians have delivered a timely blow to Carlos Tevez after the Brazilian club revealed they are not looking to make another move for the Manchester City rebel. The South American outfit made a bid for Tevez this summer after he expressed his desire to leave City, but ran out of time to complete a deal. Since then, the 27-year-old Argentina international has made only two starts under manager Roberto Mancini this term and was last week suspended by them following his alleged refusal to come on as a substitute in their Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich. In the swing: Carlos Tevez is currently back home in Argentina, where he enjoyed a round of golf on Thursday with his wife Vanessa (below) It has left his future at the Etihad Stadium uncertain, but Corinthians general manager Edu - the former Arsenal and Brazil midfielder - says that as things stand, they are not thinking about renewing their interest in the forward, who left them to join West Ham in 2006. 'At the moment there are no plans to try and sign him again,' Edu told the BBC. 'I'm starting to think about our new squad for 2012 and I've talked to our coach (Tite) about what we need - but Tevez was not mentioned. 'We are always interested in world class players like Carlos but you need to analyse if it's right for you at that time to try to sign him or not. We have not spoken to him or his agent.' Suspended: Tevez' career at Man City appears to be over after he allegedly refused to come off the bench against Bayern Munich Edu has been at the Leaders in Football conference in London this week, where Tevez's advisor Kia Joorabchian on Wednesday insisted the striker did not refuse to play for City in Munich, claiming that post-match comments by the player suggesting he had done so were mistranslated by a club interpreter. Referring to the events in the Bayern match, Edu said: 'It is very strange for me to hear that he refused to come on. 'Every player knows that sometimes you have to be on bench, you work for the team whether you're playing or not. We don't want you: Corinthians have changed their plans having initially wanting to sign their former striker 'They pay him to work for the team whether he plays or not. I was a player and I can understand that sometimes it doesn't feel good to be on the bench, but if he decided not to play that was a very bad decision.' He added: 'As things stand, we have not considered going for Tevez. Hammer time: Tevez left Coirnthians for West Ham with Argentina team-mate Javier Mascherano in 2006 'On Wednesday I spoke to our club president (Andres Sanchez) to see if he wanted me to make contact and start negotiations while I'm over in Europe but he said no, it's up to you to decide. 'Of course, that could change. It's nice to be over here to see the real situation of Tevez and speak to people about him. 'Then we can start to decide if it's right for us to try again. Misunderstood: Tevez's representative Kia Joorabchian insists the striker did not refuse to play for City 'I was talking to Manchester City in July and we tried to buy him for 40million euros but the negotiations were not easy. 'We needed to arrange bank guarantees and other things. To organise all of that in two or three days (before the Brazilian transfer window closed) was very difficult. That's why we lost him.'  Tevez did NOT refuse to play... it all got lost in translation insists JoorabchianBurning issue: Effigy of Tevez torched as backlash rumbles on against Man City rebelTevez's Manchester City career hangs in the balance after interviews by club staffYour better now you're at City! Blanc puts Nasri problems in the pastLiverpool lead festive football TV line-up with United, City and ChelseaAll the latest Manchester City news, features and opinion


Daily_Mail

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Arsenal News

advertisement

advertisment