skip to content

Barcelona deny deal to call off Cesc Fabregas bid and insist Arsenal star could return this summer

More

15 Apr 2010 23:42:13

Barcelona deny deal to call off Cesc Fabregas bid and insist Arsenal star could return this summer

Barcelona have made no promises to stay away from Cesc Fabregas this summer, according to the club's transfer chief. Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood claims the Gunners had received assurances from the Catalans' hierarchy that there would be no bid for Fabregas at the end of the season. But Barca technical secretary Txiki Begiristain, the man who devisesthe European champions transfer policy, insists there are no guarantees. Pursuit: Barca star Lionel Messi (left) chases after Arsenal captain Fabregas 'If Barcelona think that he is necessary for the team, they will go for him, always respecting negotiations,' he told Spanish newspaper AS. 'We have never said thet we will not try to sign Cesc Fabregas. We will see what happens.' Committed: Fabregas says he is happy at Arsenal Hill-Wood claimed on Wednesday that there had been a high-level meeting between the two clubs when they met in the Champions League quarter-final recently. 'There was a private conversation that took place inthe boardroom and assurances have been made at the highest possiblelevel,' said the 74-year-old. 'Arsenal do not expect those to be broken. I was not privy to theconversation, but was told about it. They said to us they are notinterested.' Hill-Wood also suggested Arsenal's star player was not good enough to get in the Barcelona team. Following the comments, Catalan media were immediately briefed that Barca had a different interpretation of the talks. El Mundo Deportivo reported on their website that Barca had merely guaranteed that negotiations would be directly with Arsenal rather than behind the backs of the Barclays Premier League side. The paper also claimed to have contacted Fabregas on holiday in Marrakech and reported that the 22-year-old would not comment, but privately expressed his surprise at Hill-Wood's comments. The midfielder is under contract until 2014 and Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has been angered by the constant headlines from Spain that Barca intend to sign him. The Frenchman this week insisted that Arsenal would decide the future of the player. Amigo: Barca defender Pique wants Fabregas at the Nou Camp At times it seems as though Barca stars have been encouraged to unsettle a player who started his career in the club's youth ranks before joining Arsenal as a 16-year-old. Lionel Messi was this week the latest player to talk about Fabregas eventually returning to Catalonia, while Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Carles Puyol and Gerard Pique have all made similar comments over the last 12 months, while outgoing president Joan Laporta talked of him having 'Barca DNA'.   Even if the Spanish champions had made any assurances to Arsenal, the club's hierarchy is set to be replaced in the summer in any case. Laporta will step down in June and Begiristain is expected to follow. Sandro Rosell is heavily odds-on to win the presidential election andhis former role as a Nike director has been used to claim he has a good relationship with Fabregas.  Arsenal: Barca won't buy Fabregas... he's not good enough for them!He's staying! Fabregas' future lies with Arsenal, insists manager WengerMessi relishing Fabregas reunion as 'Barca is in Arsenal skipper's blood'Cesc Fabregas on why he won't sign for Barca - and slur that haunts himVIDEO: The day Arsenal star Cesc Fabregas revealed Pep Guardiola was his idol and declared, 'I'm Barca and always will be'ARSENAL FC


Daily_Mail

Sponsored links

Facebook comments