Arsenal refuse to budge over Arshavin price claim Zenit

20 January 2009 10:33
'So far it is only us who has been prepared to make concessions,' said Zenit general director Maxim Mitrofanov. 'We agreed to reduce the asking price for Arshavin and provide for other favourable conditions of the deal. But Arsenal is still stubbornly offering us only £12million. If the Londoners would meet us half-way, their chances of getting Arshavin would be very good. But it hasn't happened yet.'

It was claimed that Arsenal were due in Russia for talks over the 27-year-old's future, but they did not receive an invitation. 'We expected visitors from Arsenal and that they would come to St Petersburg if they were making a new offer for Arshavin,' said Zenit press officer Alexei Petrov.

'Since this hasn't happened, there is nothing to negotiate about yet. We are waiting for a new price for Arshavin.'

Arsenal made an offer last week, but are still awaiting a response. It is understood that Zenit value Arshavin at £18million, but may be prepared to drop their price to £15million. Earlier in the day, Arshavin's agent, Dennis Lachter, was quoted as blaming the Russian club's 'unacceptable' asking price for the delay and revealed that he had previously held meetings with Juventus and Inter Milan.

'Money is still the sticking point,' he said. 'I think Zenit are still asking for an unacceptable amount of money. I have had two meetings with Juventus and Inter, but nothing happened in the end.'

Arsenal's former captain William Gallas, meanwhile, says he intends to see out his contract at the Emirates Stadium until 2011. 'There is no tension,' he said. 'I am concentrating on my future, finishing my contract with Arsenal and seeing where I'll go in two years.'

Arsenal face Cardiff City in the FA Cup on Sunday, with Robin van Persie expecting an intense atmosphere.

'They are passionate, they are outstanding in their support,' he said. 'The atmosphere will be similar to that at Stoke City – and we lost there.'

Source: Telegraph