Two Review - April 10th

10 April 2010 06:00
Here's the weekend round up of the League Two action. Free-scoring Rochdale took a thumping against Torquay United, which dented their chances of lifting the League Two title at Plainmoor. Rendell (29th min), Benyon (31st and 35th mins), Wroe (pen in the 62nd min) and Carayol (77th min) saw the Gulls wrap up an impressive 5-0 win over the title hopefuls, while boosting their own chances of staying in League Two. Torquay United 21st, Rochdale 1st. Notts County must be fancying their chances of going up as League Two Champions after Rochdale were thumped given their slender 1-0 win over Northampton Town at Sixfields. Davies scored the only goal of the game in the 47th minute to bring County to within 2 points of the leaders with one game in hand a vastly better goal difference. Northampton Town 9th, Notts County 2nd. AFC Bournemouth still sit 6-points above the play-off places despite their 2-1 defeat to Lincoln City at Sincil Bank. Pitman scored in the 70th minute, either side of a brace from Somma in the 23rd and 81st minutes. Lincoln City 19th, AFC Bournemouth 3rd. And of the chasing pack Aldershot Town had to settle for a point against Port Vale at Vale Park. Morgan gave the Shots the lead in the 63rd minute, with Rigg levelling 9 minutes later to snsure a share of the spoils. Port Vale 10th, Aldershot Town 4th. Rotherham United are rapidly going backwards at the moment as they slipped up 2-0 to Morecambe at Livingstone Road. Jevons and Hackney ensure that the points remained at home with goals in the 57th and 59th minutes. Rotherham United 5th, Morecambe 7th. Chesterfield left it late to salvage a point to keep themselves in the play-off places with a 2-2 draw with Dagenham & Redbridge at Saltergate. A Green brace in the 27th [pen] and 50th minutes gave the Daggers a 2-goal lead before the home side woke up and hit back through Demontagnac in the 69th and Conlon, who levelled in the 89th minute from the penalty spot. Chesterfield 6th, Dagenham & Redbridge 11th. Bury seem to be slipping backwards as well at the moment as they went down to their 8th away defeat of the season, going down 5-2 against Cheltenham Town at Whaddon Road. Richards got the home side off the mark from the penalty spot in the 37th minute, which was added to by Thornhill just after the restart. Low his a brace in the 52nd and 85th minute for the home side with Lowe hitting a brace for the visitors in the 80th (pen) and 82nd minutes. Hayles completed the scoring for the Robins in the 86th minute. Cheltenham Town are now 7 points above the drop zone with 6 matches left to play. Cheltenham Town 22nd, Bury 8th. After a good few weeks of slipping down the table, the rot for Shrewsbury Town was stopped at local(ish) rivals Crewe Alexandra at Gresty Road as the Shrews ran away with a 3-0 win. Hibbert gave the visitors the lead in the 30th minute, with the win sealed late on by Bradshaw in the 86th and 91st minutes. Crewe Alexandra 15th, Shrewsbury Town 12th. Burton Albion and Bradford City played out an end-of-season 1-1 draw at The Pirelli Stadium. Oliver gave City the lead in the 59th minute, with Harrad levelling with 8 minutes to go. Burton Albion 13th, Bradford City 18th. Only a freak set of results will now keep Darlington in the Football League for next season as they drew 0-0 with Accrington Stanley at The Arena. They are 21-points off safety, with a vastly inferior goal difference. Relegation could be confirmed on Tuesday evening when they visit Rochdale. Darlington 24th, Accrington Stanley 14th. Grimsby Town live to fight another day following a slender 1-0 over Hereford United at Edgar Street. Devitt scored the only goal of the game for the visitors to keep the Mariners 7-points adrift of safety with 5 matches left to play. Hereford United 16th, Grimsby Town 23rd. Macclesfield pretty much booked their place in League Two for next season as they saw off Barnet at Underhill with a 2-1 away win - their 5th of the season. Sinclair and Bell (54th and 89th minutes) just about put the game beyond doubt, but still had to sit out a nervy last few minutes when Upseon pulled one back in the 90th minute. Barnet 20th, Macclesfield 17th.