Second half was miles better says Cherries' Wiggins

21 February 2010 10:30
LOAN star Rhoys Wiggins said Cherries' second-half showing in their 1-1 draw against Macclesfield had been miles better than their first-half display.

Cherries grabbed a share of the spoils thanks to Alan Connell's late leveller after the struggling Silkmen had taken a shock lead through Nat Brown.

It was a disappointing result, said Wiggins. We don't want to keep dropping points at home because we know how vital they could be come the end of season.

At least we didn't lose and we showed character to come back from 1-0 down. The tempo picked up in the second half and we started playing as we know we can. We caused them loads of problems and were unlucky to only draw in the end.

Brown headed home Lee Bell's free-kick in the 62nd minute before Cherries escaped thanks to a glaring miss from Macclesfield substitute Emile Sinclair.

And Eddie Howe's promotion chasers went on to capitalise when Connell popped up to grab an equaliser five minutes from time.

Wiggins added: We were disappointed to concede from a set-piece and you are always going to run the risk of conceding again when you are chasing a game. But we've got faith in our goalkeeper so we know we can push forward when we need to.

I thought Alan did well when he came on. He created a few chances and was good with the ball to his feet. I thought we looked very dangerous in the second half and, on another day, maybe could have been 3-0 or 4-0 up.

Macclesfield boss Keith Alexander was banished to the stands after complaining bitterly to fourth official Simon Knapp about Connell's leveller.

Alexander was convinced referee Graham Horwood had failed to spot a blatant push on defender Izak Reid by the Cherries striker in the lead-up to the goal.

He said: Okay, we were away at Bournemouth, they are near the top of the table and he was under pressure from the crowd. But he had to spot it, it was blatant and he was facing the play.

Bournemouth are a good team and it's hard enough when you come to these places. The referee has got to get those decisions correct. It was absolutely scandalous.

I was sent to the stand for complaining and I was very disappointed with that because Arsene Wenger can get away with it, can't he.

I wouldn't have minded if the official had been at the other end of the pitch but he was two yards away. Everybody stopped, even their players, so I was disappointed.

Asked for his opinion on the incident, Wiggins said: I didn't think the ref was very consistent throughout the whole game so, even if there had been a push, it wouldn't have surprised me if he had missed it.

Source: Bournemouth_Echo