League One Review - Sept 28th

29 September 2010 07:52
Here's the round up of the midweek action around League One. Brighton & Hove Albion left it late to claim 3-points against lowly Brentford at Withdean. LuaLua netted the only goal of the game in the 78th minute to secure 3-points. Brighton & Hove Albion 1st, Brentford 24th. AFC Bournemouth maintained the pressure at the top, and fantasic start to the new season, with an emphatic 3-0 win over Exeter City at Dean Court. A Pugh goal (39th min), either side of a Symes brace (2nd and 68th min pen) secured the points for the Cherries. AFC Bournemouth 2nd, Exeter City 11th. After their weekend defeat, Carlisle United bounced back with an emphatic 4-0 win over Hartlepool United at Victoria Park. A Michalik goal in the 8th minute was followed by a Madine hat trick, with goals in the 26th, 36th and 71st minutes. Hartlepool United 19th, Carlisle United 3rd. Rochdale continued to dumb found the critics with a 3-0 win over supposed promotion hopefuls Huddersfield Town at Spotland. Goals from Kennedy (7th min), Akpa Akpro (88th min) and O'Grady (90th min) keeps Dale in the play-off places. Rochdale 4th, Huddersfield Town 8th. Peterborough United had hoped to claim top-spot, but slipped up at home to Notts County in a bad tempered encounter at London Road. Davies gave County a 2-goal lead with a brace in the 31st and 34th minutes. Zakuani pulled one back in the 36th minute only to see Westcarr restore the 2-goal advantage in the 43rd minute. Mackail-Smith pulled one back in the 59th minute, but it wasn't enough to salvage a point. Peterborough United 5th, Notts County 10th. Colchester United had to be content with a 2-2 draw at home against battling Dagenham & Redbridge. Savage gave the Daggers the lead in the 15th minute, only to see the home side hit back through Vincent and Mooney in the 43rd and 65th minutes. The spoils were shared when Vindelot levelled with 18 minutes to go. Colchester United 6th, Dagenham & Redbridge 23rd. Charlton Athletic left it late to claim the points against Franchise FC at The Valley. Benson popped up in the 86th minute to claim the win. Charlton Athletic 7th, Franchise FC 12th. Swindon Town let a point slip from their grasp as Plymouth Argyle netted a late winner at The County Ground. Argyle raced in to a 2-goal lead with strikes in the 4th and 8th minutes as Johnson and Wright-Phillips put the Devon side in to a good position. Town hit back through Prutton (37th min) and Rose (74th min), only to see Wright-Phillips net the winner in the 96th minute. Swindon Town 13th, Plymouth Argyle 14th. Tranmere Rovers claimed their first away win of the campaign as they edged past Bristol Rovers at The Memorial Ground with jennings scoring the only goal of the game on the stroke of half-time. Bristol Rovers 15th, Tranmere Rovers 18th. Yeovil Town managed to come from behind to salvage a point against Southampton at Huish Park. Guly gave Saints the lead in the 56th minute as the home side had to rely on Virgo scoring a penalty 9 minutes later. Yeovil Town 21st, Southampton 17th. Sheffield Wednesday (16th) and Oldham Athletic (9th) could only manage a 0-0 draw at Hillsborough. The same was true for Leyton Orient (20th) and Walsall (22nd) at Brisbane Road.