League One Review - Sept 18th

18 September 2012 10:43
Here's our round up of the midweek action around League One.

Tranmere Rovers maintained their top-spot with a convincing 3-0 win over Bury who are now rooted to the foot of the table. A brace from Robinson (35th and 68th mins) was rounded off with a strike from Cassidy in the 71st minute. Tranmere Rovers 1st, Bury 24th.

Stevenage Borough managed to see off a Walsall side who are much improved on past seasons at Broadhall Way. Shroot gave Borough the lead in the 24th minute, with Bowerman levelling for the Saddlers in the 59th minute. The win was sealed, as was a place in the automatic promotion places when Tansey (72nd min) and Akins (86th min) scored the all important goals. Stevenage Borough 2nd, Walsall 9th.

Notts County let it slip on their travels with a 1-1 draw against Franchise FC at Stadium:Franchise. Bishop gave County the lead in the 27th minute only to see O'Shea level for the home side in the 68th minute. Franchise FC 7th, Notts County 3rd.

Crawley Town missed the chance to edge closer to the top-2 by dropping points on the road at struggling Colchester United at ColU's Community Stadium. McFadzean gave Town the lead in the 71th minute only to see Wordsworth salvage a point from the penalty spot with 3 minutes left on the clock. Colchester United 22nd, Crawley Town 4th.

Preston North End appear to be building some momentum with their ride back up League One following a 5-0 thumping of Hartlepool United at Deepdale. Goals from Byrom (28th min), Beavon (29th min), King (65th min) and a brace from Laird (84th and 87th mins) gave PNE 3 points. Preston North End 5th, Hartlepool United 20th.

Swindon Town piled more misery on financially stricken Portsmouth at Fratton Park as the Wiltshire side won 2-1. Ritchie (45th min) and Williams (55th) drew a consolation from Michalik deep in to stoppage time. Portsmouth 19th, Swindon Town 8th.

It looks like Yeovil Town peaked too early in to the new season as their early season bubble seems to have been well and truely burst, with Leyton Orient sticking the latest pin in to their balloon following a 4-1 win at Brisbane Road for the east Londoners. Chorley gave the O's the lead in the 3rd minute, with Brunt extending the lead 21 minutes later. Foley pulled one back for the Glovers in the 55th minute only to see the rout completed by Smith (71st min) and Lisbie (79th min). Leyton Orient 13th, Yeovil Town 11th.

Big spending AFC Bournemouth failed to claim their first home with at the 4th time of asking following a 2-2 draw against Brentford at Dean Court. Francis put past his own keeper to give the Bees the lead in the 10th minute. Tubbs netted to level matters 7 minutes later with Daniels putting the Cherries ahead in the 25th minute from the penalty spot. Forrester levelled for a share of the spoils in the 68th minute. AFC Bournemouth 17th, Brentford 12th.

Coventry City's misery at starting life in the third tier was compounded as Shrewsbury Town wiped the floor against their more illustrious West Midlands neighbours with a fine 4-1 at the New Meadow. Jones (3rd min), Parrt (21st min), a Richards penalty (62nd min) and Morgan (64th min) put the result beyond doubt before Flack pulled one back for the Sky Blues in the 75th minute. Shrewsbury Town 16th, Coventry City 23rd.

Oldham Athletic and Scunthorpe United cancelled each other out with a 1-1 draw at Boundary Park. Clarke gave Scunny the lead in the 3rd minute with Derbyshire levelling in the 40th minute. Oldham Atheltic 18th, Scunthorpe United 21st.

The other two games played in League One this evening both finished goalless between Sheffield United (6th) and Doncaster Rovers (10th); Carlisle United (14th) and Crewe Alexandra (15th) finished in stalemate.