League One Review - Nov 24th

24 November 2012 06:31
Here's our round up of the weekend action around League One.

Stevenage Borough and Tranmere Rovers left it late with the goal action as the points were shared at Broadhall Way. Cassidy gave Rovers the lead in the 78th minute, only to see Tansey level in the 92nd minute to salvage a point. Stevenage Borough 7th, Tranmere Rovers 1st.

With the chasing pack floundering, Franchise FC took advantage with a 5-1 thumping of Colchester United at Stadium:Franchise. Goals from Chadwick (28th min), Williams (37th min pen) and Ostemobor (61st min) gave the home side a comfortable 3-0 lead. Hnderson gave the travelling fans a moment of joy in the 63rd minute, but that joy lasted a minute as Chadwick scored his second in the 64th minute. Lowe completed the scoring against a hapless Col U with a 82nd minute strike. Franchise FC 2nd, Colchester United 17th.

Doncaster Rovers got back to winning ways at home with a 4-0 win over near neighbours, Scunthorpe United at the Keepmoat. Goals from Woods (22nd min), Cotterill (46th min), Jones (62nd min) and Paynter (64th min) proved to be too much for the Scunny. Doncaster Rovers 3rd, Scunthorpe United 23rd.

Brentford climbed in to the play-off places by putting on over Sheffield United at Griffin Park. Donalsdon (3rd min) and Forrester (29th min) scored the goals to keep the points in SW London. Brentford 5th, Sheffield United 4th.

Notts County claimed a narrow win over play-off rivals, Swindon Town at Meadow Lane. Judge scored the only goal in the 28th minute to claim the points, which hoisted County back in to the top-6. Notts County 6th, Swindon Town 8th.

After a confident start to the season, Crawley Town seem to the peddling backwards at the moment, their cause not helped with a 2-0 reverse at Gresty Road against Crewe Alexandra. A brace from Dalla Valle in the 62nd and 65th minutes was enough to seal the points. Crewe Alexandra 14th, Crawley Town 9th.

AFC Bournemouth left it late to salvage a point against Bury at Gigg Lane. Hewitt put the home side ahead in the 14th minute, with Grabban levelling just before the hour mark. Worrall seemed to scored the winner in the 78th minute before Pitman popped up with a 90th minute equaliser. Bury 21st, AFC Bournemouth 10th.

Leyton Orient continued their recent improvement in form with a 2-0 win over Preston North End at Brisbane Road. Goals from Baudry (43rd min) and Lisbie (61st min) sealed the points for the east London side. Leyton Orient 13th, Preston North End 11th.

Carlisle United managed to arrest a dreadful run of results with a decent 3-1 win over Yeovil Town at Huish Park. A Beck brace (21st and 46th minute) got the Cumbrians on their way. Reid gave the Gloves hope in the 65th minute, only to see Garner snuff that hope out 5 minutes later. Yeovil Town 12th, Carlisle United 18th.

Coventry City had to settle for the points against a battling Portsmouth side at the Ricoh Arena. McSheffrey gave the Sky Blues the lead in the 41st minute, only to see McLeod level in the 93rd minute to salvage a point. Coventry City 15th, Portsmouth 20th.

After a recent poor run in games, Oldham Athletic got back to winning ways with a 1-0 win over Shrewsbury Town at Boundary Park. Grounds scored the only goal of the game in the 13th minute. Oldham Atheltic 16th, Shrewsbury Town 22nd.

The final game in League One saw out of sorts Walsall and Hartlepool United come up against each other at Bescot. Pool took the lead through a Horwood penalty in the 29th minute, but any hope of a win was snuffed out when Holden levelled 4 minutes after the restart. Walsall 19th, Hartlepool United 24th.

Source: Cherries MAD


Trending on the forum