League One Review - March 6th

07 March 2012 07:15
Here's our round up of the midweek action around League One.

it just goes to show that Charlton Athletic ARE human after all given their first home defeat of the season at the hands of Colchester United at The Valley. Goals from Wordsworth (5th min) and Gillespie (73rd min) sealed the victory for ColU to keep them with a shout of the play-offs. Chalrton Athletic 1st, Colchester United 10th.

Sheffield United slipped to a second successive defeat, this time coming on their travels against relegation haunted Walsall at Bescot. After a goalless first half, the match sprang in to life in the second period when Mantom gave the Saddlers the lead in the 55th minute, which was cancelled out 10 minutes later by Williamson. Macken restored the home sides' advantage 8 minutes later, with Evans restoring parity 3 minutes after that. The winner came from Nicholls in the 81st minute to elevate Walsall away from the drop-zone. Walsall 19th, Sheffield United 2nd.

Sheffield Wednesday kept the pressure on the leading 2 with a convincing 4-1 win over Bury at Hillsborough. Goals from Antonio (11th & 58th mins), Madine (51st min), and Lowe (64th min) all but sealed, the win, leaving Schumacher to net a consolation in the 72nd minute. Sheffield Wednesday 3rd, Bury 15th.

Huddersfield Town are also keeping up the pressure following a single goal win over Hartlepool United at the Galpharm. Lee netted the only goal of the game to seal 3-points in the 75th minute. Huddersfield Town 4th, Hartlepool United 11th.

In another surprising result, Yeovil Town came away from Stadium:Franchise with a single goal win over Franchise FC - Williams scoring the only goal of the game, with their only shot of the game, in the 40th minute. Franchise FC 5th, Yeovil Town 17th.

Tranmere Rovers left it late to salvage a point against Notts County, in doing so they kept their heads above the drop zone. Stewart gave County the lead in the 5th minute, with Welsh leaving as late as the 93rd minute to salvage a point. Tranmere Rovers 20th, Notts County 6th.

Could Rochdale's stay in the 3rd tier be limited to just 2 seasons following a 2-1 defeat against Carlisle United at Brunton Park? McGovern gave the Cumbrians the lead in the 57th minute, with Kennedy cancelling the lead out in the 74th minute. Any thoughts of a share of the spoils were dashed 2 minutes later when Zoko popped up with the winner. Carlisle United 7th, Rochdale 24th.

Brentford managed to ease past Exeter City at Griffin Park with a 209 win, leaving the Devon side in the drop-zone. A brace from Berahino in the 41st and 69th minutes sealed the points. Brentford 9th, Exeter City 21st.

Scunthorpe United eased their fears of the drop with a 2-1 over Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park. Mirfin gave Scunny the lead in the 73rd minute, with Morais levelling 5 minutes later. Thompson rounded off a frantic 7-minute of scoring with an 80th minute winner. Both sides ended the match with 10-men. Oldham Athletic 13th, Scunthorpe United 18th.

Wycombe Wanderers boosted their chances of staying up with a 4-2 win over Leyton Orient at Adams Park. The home side had raced in to a 4-goal lead going in at the break with goals from Beavon (7th min), Hayes (26th min), Bloomfield (33rd min), and Strevens (39th min). The O's mounted a fight back in the second half netting through Spring (46th min) and Laird (74th min) but it wasn't enough. Wycombe Wanderers 22nd, Leyton Orient 16th.

The only other game played saw Preston North End (14th) draw 0-0 with Chesterfield (23rd) at Deepdale.

Stevenage Borough (8th) were due to play AFC Bournemouth (12th), but that match was postponed due to Stevenage's FA Cup commitments. The match has been rearranged for March 27th.