League One Review -Dec 29th

29 December 2012 09:03
Here's our final review of the action around League One for 2012.

Tranmere Rovers reclaimed top spot thanks to a solitary Stockton goal, which came in the 59th minute, against Scunthorpe United at Prenton Park. Tranmere Rovers 1st, Scunthorpe United 23rd.

The swap in positions at the top came as Sheffield United unexpectedly handed lowly Hartlepool United a belated Christmas present in the form of a 3-2 win at Bramhall Lane. Howard gave the League One's bottom side the lead in the 7th minute, with Doyle levelling on the half hour. Humphreys put Pool back in front in the 54th minute, with Howard scoring his second of the afternoon in the 72nd. Maguire put a little bit of respectability against an embrassing home reverse with a goal in the 95th minute. The result still leaves Hartlepool United needing to double their points tally to get above the dreaded dotted line. Sheffield United 2nd, Hartlepool United 24th.

Doncaster Rovers gave their fans something to cheer with a fine 3-0 away win at Deepdale against Preston North End. Goals from Syers (1st min), Cotterill (30th min) and a Paynter penalty (76th min) was more than enough to seal 3-points. Preston North End 15th, Doncaster Rovers 3rd.

AFC Bournemouth managed to break in to the play-off positions with a 3-0 win over Crawley Town at Dean Court. Goals from Alexander (16th min own goal), Pitman (40th min) and O'Kane (84th min) sealed the win for the Cherries to maintain their unbeaten run. AFC Bournemouth 5th, Crawley Town 8th.

Franchise FC found themselves on the end of second Christmas defeat in front of their franchised fans as Coventry City plunders Stadium:Franchise for a 3-2 win. Powell had given the home side the lead in the 15th minute, with Moussa levelling for the Sky Blues just before the half hour. Lowe put Franchise ahead in the 38th minute to secure a first half lead. Two quick goal from Elliott in the 49th and 51st minutes turned the game on its' ahead as advantage swung back to the visitors. Franchise FC 7th, Coventry City 9th.

Can it get much worse for the long suffering Portsmouth fans? At the moment the answer for them seems (sadly) like a 'yes' as Yeovil Town were the latest to plunder Fratton Park for all 3-points. Blizzard got the Glovers off the mark with a strike in the 15th minute, with Webster levelling in the 38th minute. Benson pulled one back for Pompey in the 54th minute, but it wasn't enough as the Hampshire side slipped to their 8th home defeat of the season. Portsmouth 21st, Yeovil Town 12th.

Crewe Alexandra made the relatively short trip to Oldham Athletic, and came away with a 2-1 win for their troubles. Pogba gave the Alex the lead in the 61st minute, with Taylor levelling in the 82nd. Points shared? No as Ellis popped up 2 minutes later to score the winner. Oldham Athletic 18th, Crewe Alexandra 13th.

Leyton Orient managed to edge Walsall out at Brisbane Road, but left it late to do so. Mooney gave the O's the lead in the 43rd minute, with the Saddlers responding through Mantom in the 79th minute. Odubajo scored the winner with 3 minutes left on the clock to set up their 6th win in 7. Leyton Orient 14th, Walsall 16th.

After their recent woes in front of their own fans, Carlisle United managed to chalk up back to back wins with a 2-1 success over Bury at Brunton Park. MIller (2nd min penalty) and Robson (10th min) got the Cumbrians off to a flying start. Schumacher reduced the arrears in the 53rd minute, but it wasn't enough to inspire his team mates to grab an equaliser. Carlisle United 17th, Bury 22nd.

The only other match played in League One saw Shrewsbury Town (19th) and Brentford (4th) draw 0-0 at the New Meadow.

The games involving Colchester United (20th) and Swindon Town (6th); Stevenage Borough (10th) and Notts County (11th) were both called off due to waterlogged pitches.

Source: Cherries MAD