League One Review - Dec 27th

27 December 2011 04:45
Here's our round up of the post Christmas action around League One.

Charlton Athletic left it late to snatch victory over Yeovil Town at Huish Park. Obika gave the Glover an 8th minute lead, with Hollands levelling 8 minutes later. Huntington restored the home sides advantage in the 50th minute, with Kermorgant levelling on the hour mark. Green secured the win with a 91st minute strike for the Addicks. Yeovil Town 21st, Charlton Athletic 1st.

Sheffield United lead the chase behind Charlton Athletic following a 2-1 win over Notts County at Bramhall Lane, even though Judge gave the Magpies the lead in the 17th minute. Flynn (31st min) and an own goal from Sheehan (51st min) helped ensure that it was a happy Christmas for the Blades. Sheffield United 2nd, Notts County 9th.

Sheffield Wednesday slipped up at Walsall when it seemed that the win was theirs, especially after Lowe netted on the hour mark. Then the Saddlers managed to turn the game on its head when Gnakpa levelled in the 91st minute, and Smith scoring the winner in the 94th minute to earn the home side some much needed breathing space. Walsall 18th, Sheffield Wesdnesday 3rd.

Franchise FC ran away with a 3-0 win over Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road. Bowditch (37th min), Smith (57th min), MacDonald (63rd min) did more than enough to condemn the O's to their 6th home defeat of the season. Leyton Orient 17th, Franchise FC 4th.

Adfter their recent stutter, Huddersfield Town managed to get back to winning ways, albeit a slender 1-0 win over struggling Chesterfield at the Galpharm. Rhodes scored the only goal of the game in the 34th minute. Huddersfield Town 5th, Chesterfield 24th.

By far the biggest win of the day came at the Community Stadium where unpredictable Colchester United slipped up massively against Stevenage Borough who walked away with a comprehensive 6-1 win! Shroot (9th min) got Borough off to a great start, which was added to by Beardsley in the 25th minute. Henderson for the U's back in to the game in the 51st minute, but it wasn't enough as Bostwick (64th min), Laird (71st min), Freeman (73rd min) and Byrom (82nd min) put the game beyond reach. Colchester United 13th, Stevenage Borough 6th.

Brentford left it later than late to claim a share of the spoils against AFC Bournemouth at Griffin Park after Sheringham put the Cherries ahead in the 19th minute. Legge salavaged a point for the Bees in the 94th minute. Brentford 7th, AFC Bournemouth 15th.

Preston North End and Carlisle United managed to share 6-goals at Prenton Park. Miller gave the Cumbrians the lead from the penalty spot in the 20th minute, with Hume levelling for PNE just 2 minutes later. Parry then gave the Lilywhites the lead from the penalty spot just after the half-hour, only to see Zoko level on the stroke of half time. Berrett gave the Cumbrians the lead (again) in the 62nd minute only to see the win snatch away when Douglas levelled in the 92nd minute. Preston North End 10th, Carlisle United 8th.

Bury managed to heap more misery on to their old boss, Alan Knill as they walked off with a 3-1 win over Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park, even thougbh Duffy gave the home side a 5th minute lead. Sweeney (50th min), Bishop (69th min) and Sodje (82nd min) ensured that Scunny look set to end 2011 in the drop-zone. Scunthorpe United 22nd, Bury 11th.

Hartlepool United managed to record their 6th win on the road, with a single goal victory over Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park. Poole scored the only goal of the game in the 7th minute. Oldham Athletic 14th, Hartlepool United 12th.

Wycombe Wanderers managed to climb out of the drop-zone with a 3-1 win over Exeter City at Adams Park. A Trotta hat-trick (1st, 40th and 88th minutes) only drew a response from Coles (23rd min) for the Grecians. Wycombe Wanderers 20th, Exeter City 19th.

The game involving Tranmere Rovers (16th) and Rochdale (23rd) was postponed after high winds caused structural damage to the main stand at Prenton Park.